Chapter 1

I was just putting my socks on when Hailee stormed into my room.

"I hope you aren't taking your sweet ass time getting ready because I told you I would be here at 8:00 sharp!"

"Pipe down, I'm just putting my shoes on," I rolled my eyes at her and gestured at my body. "See? All dressed. And not casual like you demanded."

"I am very impressed Miss Carli," Hailee mocked, "now can we please get the show on the road and leave? I have seriously been so excited for the longest for this party!" I tug on both of my ankle boots and zip them up.

"Remind me again why I have to go?" I'm not a party person. I'm not saying I'm not, I love a good party. I just haven't been to one since that typical after prom party everyone goes to. I lost the hang of it you can say.

"Because everybody is invited and as freshmen, it is our duty to make sure we put our social lives into stone for the next four years," she explained. "It is extremely important to mingle."

"I guess you have a point," I sarcastically remarked. "Besides, it's welcome week and there isn't much to worry about yet so we might as well have fun before school kicks our butts."

"Now you're talking!" Hailee and I walked down the hall of our dorm building and made our way to this end of the summer party.

I remembered why I haven't been to a party in so long. I forgot how annoying people can get when they're under the influence. I also forgot what it was like to see half naked girls making out with boys and dry humping for the whole public to see. I didn't miss it at all. It was so stuffy in this house. Hailee and I met up with her roommate, Phoebe, and the three of us were making our way through this frat house. It looked big from the outside but with everybody and their mothers here, it felt as if there was no room to breathe.

"You girls want a drink?" Phoebe's boyfriend, whose name I think is Tyler, asked us. I shook my head and answered for us, "We aren't really in the mood to drink tonight."

Hailee nodded, "Carli and I aren't too big on drinking. It's fun to do here and there but only when you're feeling it." Tyler nodded and proceeded to pour drinks for himself and Phoebe.

We were in a small group. It was Hailee, Phoebe, Tyler, a few of Tyler's friends, and I all sitting around a small coffee table on some beanbags in the corner. The party was crazy, but I didn't expect anything less. Drunk people making out with each other on one side, drunk people crying and causing scenes on the other. Typical. Very entertaining to watch too. Hailee must have felt claustrophobic or something because she stood up and told us that she wanted to step outside for a bit.

"Oh wait," I stood up, "I'm coming." She smiled at me and we made our way to the back door, after almost getting stuck in between people on the small space that was believed to be the dance floor. Ah, it felt so nice outside. There was a slight breeze, causing me to give myself a mental thumbs up for putting a nice jacket over my dress. Hailee and I stood silently for a minute or two, gazing at the sky. "What's on your mind?"

"Nothing really," she paused, "It's kinda scary to me.. We're starting university."

"Just yesterday we were in the sixth grade and we were wearing matching T-shirts, listening to the Jonas Brothers."

"It's crazy," Hailee replied. "Going to school six hours away makes me sad. I already feel homesick."

"Hey," I rubbed her back, "We are going to love San Francisco. LA is home and it's wonderful, but this is going to be our second home now. We'll learn to love it just like we love LA. I promise, okay?" I offer her a smile.

Hailee smiles back and nods. "You're right, I don't think I would be able to be here without you. It wouldn't feel like home one bit. But with my best friend, it feels just a smidge better."

"Just a smidge?" I scoff playfully. We laugh and talk about Tyler's friend Nathan and how cute Hailee thinks he is. After some time, she rubs her shoulders and says she's going to head back inside.

"Okay, I'll stay out for a bit. It's a really nice night," I look up, "and much better than being in a hot stuffy house."

"We'll be right there," Hailee says before turning to go back inside.

The sky back home in Los Angeles is okay at night. You can't see too many stars, but you can see some. Kind of like they're hazy in a way. Here in San Francisco, it's a bit better. I lost track of how long I've been standing here. Ten minutes, maybe even fifteen.

"You know, it takes about twenty minutes for your eyes to adjust to the night sky," a deep voice says from behind me. I whirl around, a bit startled. A boy. A pretty cute boy, dressed in a navy T-shirt and black jeans.

"Really?" I smile, "Where did you hear that from?"

He flashes me a smile, "My cousin told me. He's majoring in astronomy. I don't know if it's true or not. Sometimes he pushes my button and messes with my head." We share a small laugh and it's quiet again. I decide to break the silence after a few seconds.

"I'm Carli."

He smiles at me but doesn't turn his head fully towards me, "I'm Cody. What brings you out here?"

"My friend came out here so we were hanging out for some time. She went back inside but this weather is so nice, I want to camp out here."

He chuckles, "Yeah it's really nice. I'm more into the summer heat if you ask me though."

"Whaaat?" I reply, "I'm the complete opposite. Living in LA where it's always so dang hot has me begging for the cold."

"Woah sick, you're from LA?" Cody asks me. I nod in response. "I'm from Arizona. I didn't really want to attend university there so getting into UCSF was really big for my family. About a twelve hour distance but I'm doing it for a reason, you know?"

I nodded, "Yeah I know. It's not as long as your distance but about six hours. I guess that's a lot for me, considering how attached to home I am."

Cody smiles at me. "I understand, I think that's—"

"Holy shit, Cody?!" Cody and I turn around and see Tyler's friend Nathan walking up to us with open arms. "Dude, I didn't know you were gonna be at this party tonight." The boys hug.

"Of course my man," Cody replies. "I can't miss the first party of the year. It's one of the biggest parties at UCSF!" The boys small talk for a bit when Nathan turns to me.

"Hey, everybody was wondering where you went," he tells me. "Nobody is worried or anything but Phoebe and Hailee were complaining about how bored they are."

"You two know each other?" Cody asks, looking between us two.

"Sort of," I reply. "We just met tonight. My best friend's roommate's boyfriend's friend is Nathan."

"Yeah... Something like that," Nathan replies with furrowed brows. "It's weird and complex but what she said." The three of us chuckle. "Our group was actually going to leave in a few, maybe grab something to eat. You wanna join us Cody?"

Cody looks at me then back at Nathan, "Nah dude, I don't wanna interrupt with your friends."

"Nonsense! I'm inviting you and they love meeting new people," Nathan tells him. "Carli's coming too if you're wondering."

"Yeah then I guess I'll go," Cody looks at me and I laugh. "To meet everyone too of course."