Naruto: Sai - Special Gift

(f/a) - favorite animal

~~Sai's POV~~

I am walking towards the trainings grounds when I hear someone shout. "Hey Sai!"

Turning to the direction of the voice I notice a familiar (h/c)-haired girl running towards me. I kind of smile slightly upon seeing her. She is (y/n) (l/n), a (e/c)-eyed kunoichi. We are on different teams, unfortunately and we only met because Lady Tsunade sent her on a mission together with us. During the mission we noticed we got along quite well and ever since then we met up regularly and I became rather...attached to her. According to my books and Sakura I seem to love her. It's an odd feeling but not unpleasant. Now I just have to find out how I see if she returns the feelings or not which is more complicated than it seemed to be. Maybe I have to read more about it...due to someone waving their hand in front of my face I snap out of my thoughts to see (y/n) standing right in front of me. She smiles brightly. "Finally. I already thought I might have to become more like Sakura when she is annoyed to get your attention. You must have been thinking about something important to space out like this. Mind sharing it or is it too personal?"

Feeling warmth rising to my cheeks I turn my gaze away. "Sorry but I can't tell you."

I notice out of the corner of my eyes her smile disappearing. "Oh...sorry I didn't mean to bother you...."

She turns around to leave. Without thinking I quickly grab her wrist making her look at me slightly confused. "You aren't bothering me. It's just that I was thinking about...a gift for someone and I don't want them to find out."

(Y/n)'s gaze changes to curious and she smiles....teasingly I guess. "For someone, huh? Who might this 'someone' be I wonder?"

Sighing mentally in relief I reply. "Not going to tell you. Anyways is there something you need?"

She pouts cutely at first but then sighs. "Alright I understand....I just wanted to chat with you. Tomorrow my team goes to Suna due to a mission and I don't know when we will be back so I want to spend some time with you if you don't mind that is."

I smile like usually. "Sure."

She smiles brightly, grabs my hand and runs off dragging me with her.

~~Time skip to the following day~~

I am walking around in the village thinking about yesterday. (Y/n) dragged me to a rather small hill. We sat down on top of it and talked...well, she did most of the talking part but I was listening intently and commented every now and then. After some hours (y/n) seemed to get nervous when she told me there was something she had to tell me once she is back from her mission. I asked her why she didn't tell me at that moment but she declined immediately saying it wasn't the right time. I didn't push it any further and after some more minutes we left and I brought her to her home. She said bye and went inside to prepare for the following day. Right when I arrived at my place I went straight into my room and read some pages in a book to maybe find out what she might want to tell me. Needless to say I couldn't find anything at all. And now I'm taking a walk through Konoha to clear my mind and maybe get an idea of what it is that made (y/n) nervous. It doesn't work either and I am thinking about giving up and going back when I see Naruto and Sakura a short distance away from me. Deciding to ask them if they have an idea I quickly and silently walk up to them. "Hello Naruto and Sakura."

They turn to me and smile. "Hey Sai! What are you doing here?"

Sakura looks at Naruto angrily. "Do you always have to be so loud?!" Her gaze then turns back to me. "Hi Sai. Are you alright? You seem to be troubled by something."

I nod slowly. "There is something on my mind and I wanted to ask you for advice."

Smiling strangely she replies. "Let me guess...it has something to do with (y/n) right~?"

Suddenly Naruto asks shocked. "Wait what?! You mean he likes her?! Why didn't you tell me?!"

Annoyed Sakura replies. "I don't know maybe it's because you are too loud and probably will accidentally tell (y/n) everything. But that doesn't matter now..." She looks back at me with most likely curious eyes. "Go on Sai. You have my full attention."

I explain what happened yesterday and wait for her to reply. "So she wants to tell you something and seemed to be rather nervous...I know! She wants to confess her feelings!"

Naruto looks at her wide-eyed. "Why do you think that?"

She answers...excitedly. "I heard her arguing with her team. They wanted to make her confess to the one she likes but she refused. It continued for some time until she gave in and agreed to do so when the mission is over." Naruto still seems to be shocked but Sakura doesn't suddenly says. "I have an idea. Why don't you draw something she likes for her? It might take a bit of her nervousness away and gives her more courage."

That is a good idea I suppose. I know she loves (f/a) and I already told her I was thinking about a gift for someone. That might work. Nodding at the two I thank Sakura and return to my place to get started on (y/n)'s gift.

~~Time skip of one week~~

I'm walking to the hill (y/n) dragged me to the last time I saw her. She and her team returned yesterday but she was too exhausted to meet me. That's why we decided to meet on the hill today. I try to stay calm but still I am walking rather quickly wanting to see (y/n). Is that excitement...or happiness...or maybe both? I don't care about it right now. I can think about it later. I can finally see her again and that's more important! Hurrying a little I arrive at my destination but (y/n) is not here yet. I sit down to wait for her and take out my gift looking it over once more. I spent a lot of time to make the (f/a) as perfect as possible and it was worth it....at least I hope she likes it. Shaking my head I put it back and close my eyes listening the sounds around me. A few minutes later I hear someone getting closer and open my eyes to see a very familiar (h/c)-haired girl running towards me. She stops and sits down next to me panting heavily. "Sorry...for letting...you wait. I...overslept."

The corners of my mouth turns upwards in my usual smile. "It's no problem."

Catching her breath she says. "What a relief! My sensei would have gotten angry and would have scolded me!"

I shake my head slightly at her. "You have a tendency to coming late after all."

She pouts. "Whatever! I'm not as bad as Kakashi at least!"

Nodding my head I agree. "True. No one can beat him in coming late."

(Y/n) smiles victoriously. "Agreed!"

After some minutes I take out the drawing and give it to her. "Here, that's for you."

Her (e/c) orbs look at me surprised and she takes my gift carefully. Her eyes widen and she stares at it in shock making me nervous. "It's....beautiful! Thank you very much!"

I continue looking at her. "You're welcome."

She stares at it for a few minutes before she suddenly turns to me with red cheeks. "W-well, I promised you I would tell you something once I'm back so here I go! I....I l-like you....more than in a friend kind of way. I-it's alright if you don't feel the same but..mmph!"

I stop her talking by pressing my lips on hers. It just feels like the right thing to do. She doesn't react at first but as I am about to draw back she throws her arms around my neck and kisses me back. I wrap my arms around her waist on instinct. Liking the feeling of her being this close I pull her even closer. When the need to breathe gets too strong we part from each other and (y/n) lays her head on my chest staying in my embrace.