Gaara x Reader: Guardian

~~(Y/n)'s POV~~

I hum to myself while walking down the street to the gate of Suna. Kazekage Gaara asked me to greet the ninjas from the leaf who should arrive today seeing as I don't have anything else to do. Well, he didn't really 'asked' me to...more like he was wondering that to himself while I came in his office to ask if there was a mission I could go on resulting in me hearing that and volunteering to do it. I guess he was surprised but he nodded and I bowed before leaving. Right outside I jumped in joy because I could help him and not any of the other females. They annoy me to no end throwing themselves at him now that he became the Kazekage but when he was a child none of them wanted to be near him and they were all mean to him. Everyone in this village treated him very badly and he nearly turned into a heartless monster because of them. His siblings tried to be there for him but after some time they started to fear him because he acted like the monster everyone told him he was.

As for me, I defended him when they said mean things and turned the other kids down when they asked me to play with them because I didn't want to befriend mean persons. I wanted to be Gaara's friend but I was too shy to ask him and supported him from afar. Unfortunately, my mother was very sick and my father left the village because he hoped she could get help somewhere else taking me with them. But even there no one could help her and we stayed because he didn't want to travel again in her state. She died six months later and we brought her back to Suna to bury her there. I was sad and cried a lot on our journey. Once we gave my mother a proper burial I looked for Gaara to finally ask him if he wanted to be friends. It was already dark when I found him. I tried to get closer to him and he glared at me with murderous eyes. I stood there shocked with widened (e/c) eyes while he turned away and left. Right when he was out of my sight I got out of my stupor and quickly followed him not going to give up that easily. Some minutes later I stopped temporarily to catch my breath and looked around hoping to see him. Suddenly something hit the back of my head and everything turned black. I didn't know how much time passed 'til I woke up but it was light outside and my father told me to never stay out that late again because he didn't want to lose his only child too, it was already hard enough for him that his wife died. I apologized while looking at the floor and he embraced me saying it would be alright. At that very moment I cried hard.

I still don't know what happened after I blacked out and neither did my father. He said he heard someone knocking on the door and after opening it saw me laying there unconscious. We never got the chance to thank the person. I sigh before I lightly clap my hands on my cheeks to stop thinking about it and to focus on my task. After all Gaara is counting on me to bring the ninjas to his office!...It's not really a difficult one but still. Thinking of the jealous gazes from the other girls I will get for being there when Gaara needed someone -even if the task is one of the easiest- makes me giggle and I quickly run to my destination to wait for the leaf ninjas. I nod to the guards and go outside to lean against the gate and to keep looking to the distance from where they are coming most likely. After some minutes Temari walks towards me with a smile. "Hi (y/n). I should have known it was you who volunteered to greet our visitors."

I return the smile happily. "Hi Temari. So you just came here to see who it was?"

She laughs quietly. "Of course not. And don't worry I'm also not here to steal your precious task or your time with my brother~!" she says with a wink.

I blush at it and look around hastily. "Are you out of your mind?! What if someone heard you?!"

Temari laughs loudly at my reaction. "Stay calm (y/n)! Even if someone heard that I highly doubt he or she would be surprised or runs straight to Gaara to tell him your 'secret'."

I sigh loudly still blushing. "Is it really that obvious?"

After calming her laughter down she answers. "Yup, it is. Why do you think the girls hate you otherwise? The most people support a relationship between you two and are just waiting for it~."

Blushing a new shade of red I look at her quite embarrassed. "Temari!!!"

Giggling she continues. "Sorry but it's true. You get the most support. Anyways, I was just on my way to a small mission and after seeing you I couldn't resist to tease you a bit."

I roll my eyes at her. "Seriously...sometimes I think you enjoy it too much. Besides it doesn't matter how many people are 'cheering' for me. It's Gaara's choice, not their's...and I want him to like me not everyone else."

Smiling mischievously she replies. "I have a feeling you will know that pretty soon~. Look at the time! I should leave so I will be back in the evening. See ya then (y/n)~!"

With widened (e/c) eyes I look at her. "W-what do you mean with that?!" She smirks before she turns to leave. "Temari wait and answer me!!!"

She just waves and ignores my pleas to tell me what she meant. Panicking I go up and down in front of the gate. Her smirk can mean everything! What do I do?! WHAT DO I DO?!!

After some more minutes of panicking I take a deep breath trying to calm down. Whatever it is she was hinting at there is nothing I can do about it besides waiting and hoping for the best. I sigh and once again observe the area waiting for the ninjas to arrive.

~~Time skip~~

After waiting for quite some time I finally see three figures in the distance and keep my eyes on them. Once they get close enough for me to recognize them I smile and greet them. "Hey Naruto, Sakura and Kakashi!"

They wave at me while coming closer. Sakura and Naruto are my best friends in Konoha. During the Chuunin exams I followed Gaara worried for him because I heard of the plan to attack Konoha. There I literally bumped into Naruto and after some more encounters we became great friends. I even told him why I was in Konoha without mentioning the attack but made him promise to keep it a secret. Of course I also met Sakura but we didn't like each other at first. She was too much of a fan-girl for me but after she started training with the Hokage Tsunade we grew closer and gradually became friends. Now whenever they are in Suna or I am in Konoha we make sure to visit the other and spent some time together.

Sighing in relief I wait for them to arrive and then hug Sakura and Naruto. "I'm so glad it's you guys whom I should greet! To be honest I was a bit worried to how I am supposed to know who it is."

Kakashi raises an eyebrow questioningly. "But the Kazekage knew we would be coming. Didn't he tell you that?"

Releasing the two I scratch my neck and smile sheepishly. "Well...I kinda forgot to wait for him to tell me who it is, hehe."

Naruto chuckles at me while Sakura rolls her eyes smiling and Kakashi just shakes his head. The pinkette replied. "That just sounds like you (y/n)."

I smile. "I know, I know....anyways I should bring you to Kazekage Gaara now. I don't want to keep him waiting."

The guys nod while Sakura grins knowingly. I blush a bit and lead them through Sunagakure towards the building of the Kazekage chatting with my friends about what happened since the last time we saw each other. Inside we walk to his office and I knock at the door. "Lord Kazekage, the visitors from Konoha have arrived."

I hear him saying "Come in" and open the door. I let the three come inside and then close the door. Turning to Gaara I quickly bow and wait for him to dismiss me. "Thank you (y/n). You can take your leave now."

I nod smiling and leave the building. Sighing in relief I congratulate myself for getting it done without embarrassing me. Happily I walk back home to take a small nap.

~~Time skip~~

I am abruptly awoken from my nap by someone knocking against my front door. Kinda groggily I go to the door yawning slightly. Rubbing my eyes I open it. "Did you forget your keys again Dad?"

When I receive no response I look at the person and my (e/c) eyes widen in shock. "L-lord Kazekage! What brings you here?!"

I blush bright red in embarrassment remembering that I just slept and my (h/l) (h/c) hair most likely looks like a mess not to mention how my clothes must look like right now. Of all the moments he could have been in front of my door it has to be this one! I just want to go and hide myself now! He stares at me while responding. "There is something I want to talk to you about but I can wait until tomorrow if..."

Not letting him finish his sentence I hurriedly say while opening the door wider to let him in. "No, no, no! Today is perfectly fine! Please come in!"

He nods slowly before entering my home. I close the door behind him and lead him to a couch in the living-room. After he sits down I ask. "W-would you like something to drink?"

He shakes his head. "No thanks."

I nod and take a seat next to him blushing a bit. "A-alright." After some minutes of silence I hesitantly ask. "So...what is it you wanted to talk about?"

Gaara continues to watch me making me grow even more nervous than I already was before he replies. "Kankuro and Naruto told me something and I want to know if it's true or not."

I tilt my head in confusion. "What did they tell you?"

He stays silent for a while until he asks. "Is it true that you were always there for me without me knowing and worried for me?"

At this my eyes widen once more and I blush brightly. Mentally killing the two I reply shyly and nervously. "Y-yes...yes, I did and still do. Back when we were kids I wanted to be your friend but I was too shy to ask and when I finally got the courage I couldn't get near you anymore and I decided to be your friend from afar even though you didn't knew it. I...I just waited for the real Gaara to show himself and prove the world that you are you and nothing else. For me you always were the hurt little boy who was betrayed and misunderstood. No matter what you did or what you could have done I was never scared of you. In fact I....I..I started to..l-love you."

His teal eyes widen in shock and my gaze turns to the ground not wanting to see the rejection in his eyes. After some silent moments he whispers to himself but loud enough for me to hear. "Who would have thought that the girl I protected once was the owner of the kind eyes I always felt on me."

At this I quickly sit up straight and look at him confused. "W-what do you mean with you protected me once?"

He turns away from me and I am sure I saw his cheeks having a pink dust on them. "...Do you remember the night you followed me when we were children?" His gaze shifts back towards me. After seeing me nod he continues. "A ninja was also following me to kill me. He saw you nearby and wanted to get rid of you too because he didn't need a witness. I saw him attack you and after you fell to the ground I killed him and brought you to your house. Back then I didn't know why I helped you and simply thought it was because you weren't worth the effort while ignoring everything that said otherwise. After Naruto defeated me and said someone was worried about me I immediately thought of you even though I didn't knew why. Now I know I was hoping the person was you because then I would have a chance you liked me too."

Shocked about it I try to say something but I don't get the chance to due to Gaara's lips placing themselves on mine. My body stiffens and my mind goes blank processing what just happens. Once I get over the shock I kiss him back and put my hands on his chest. After all this time I longed for this very moment I finally got the guy I always wanted to be with and no matter what I will never leave him alone.

~~Extended Ending~~

Right outside (y/n)'s house two females are hiding and cheering mentally for the newly found couple. "Finally! It was about time these two get together!"

"I know right?! Good thing we made Kankuro and Naruto tell him how much he means for her! Maybe Naruto will now understand why I asked him to tell Gaara how worried (y/n) was about him..."

"Why am I even surprised to hear that...well, Kankuro at least knows it. Luckily he remembered her rejecting everyone because they were mean to Gaara. He probably can't wait to come back from his mission and see how well the plan worked."

"Well, let's leave them alone before someone notices us."

"Agreed. See you tomorrow!"

"See you!"

With that they both disappear anxiously awaiting the next day.  

One-shots collection (Requests are open once again^^)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें