Chapter 2 - Only the Beginning.

Start from the beginning

The council stared at her attentively. "It appears the plague that has been affecting the animals draw nearer and nearer to the capital. We need to secure our farms, we need to put safeguards in place or we'll be eating wheat all season."

Victoria's report caused a chill to run down the woman's spine. She'd toyed with the idea that it could be something much larger than a simple plague, but Geoffrey always insisted it was nothing of concern for the queen. Farmers complained, families suffered, animals dying every day—it all brought back memories of a time Annabelle tried so hard to forget.

Antoine cleared his throat, as if requesting permission to speak. "The wolves have been herding the animals further north, things appear to be much calmer. None of the animals have fallen ill thus far... I think as soon as there is an inkling that one may be sick, they need to be completely separated from the rest of the herd."

Annabelle nodded. "Well I think we—"

"My Queen!" The messenger barrelled into the room, earning death glares from everyone at the table.

"What is it boy?"

"There's a situation to the south of the capital. A human uprising of some sort. We just received word from a wolf who is presently on the scene. They've killed two officers, and left one severely burnt. There were about ten humans harmed as well, but that may just have been collateral damage from the car bomb that was used."

Annabelle's eyes burned red, meeting those of Marquese who nervously stared back at her.

"You said you had the humans under control." She growled at him. "The only reason you are here, the only reason you sit at my table is for that purpose, to ensure peace is kept among the humans of our nation. We lost two wolves, officers just doing their job, serving their Queen."

"I'll get to the bottom of it." He rattled out.

"You do that. I'll diffuse the situation at the site of the bombing."

"I don't think that's a good idea." Geoffrey interrupted, yet again. "Obviously this was all an act of rebellion, it may be dangerous Annabelle."

"The only thing that's obvious is that if I want something done properly, I've got to do it myself."

She stood, downing what remained in the wine glass. "This meeting is dismissed, we'll reconvene once Marquese gets the situation under control. And, if he doesn't—then there's no longer any use for him here." Her voice was steely as she stalked out of the room.

Annabelle flittered within a few minutes to the site of the bombing. There was a crowd of humans chanting 'no vamps, no wolves', a few of them blocked the path of the maesters who'd responded to tend to the injured. She'd managed to sneak around to the front of the crowd, where the police car was still drowned in flames.

She cringed at the smell of burning flesh belonging to her wolf brothers.

"Is this what you've decided on?" her voice silenced the crowd instantly. They obviously hadn't expected her to show up here, she hardly ever did socialise with the humans of their nation. Many of them still saw her as a beast, and she saw many of them as an afternoon snack. It was a double-edged sword.

"You've decided to take the lives of the innocent in protest? Look around you!" She motioned to the injured humans that lay groaning on the concrete. "You've even sacrificed some of your own, and for what? My family has reigned over this nation for hundreds of years, and will continue to do so for hundreds more."

She walked down the steps, and the crowd drifted apart. "Get used to it! Maybe, you should find some way of being useful to us, leave these futile attempts of rebellion behind. I'm growing extremely tired of it." Her red eyes pierced through the crowd, not one of them meeting her eyes. "Who is responsible for this?" her voice was deathly calm.