12

"Mommy! Mommy!" I could feel my hair bouncing up and down as I ran to my mother's bedroom. I shook her as she laid in her bed. "Mommy! Wake up!" She groaned loudly.

"What the hell do you want kid?" her voice was lower than usual

"Guess what day is it!" I jumped up and down, not bothering to try and understand why she was angry.

"I dunno kid." She rolled over and grabbed a cigarette. "How about you go play or something."

I could feel myself getting sad, "But mommy.."

"Now." She gritted her teeth. I could feel the tears run down my face. I could feel two hands grab my shoulders. 

"It's okay, baby." Dad whispered in my ear. "Let's leave mommy, alone." I nodded my head as we walked out of her room. It was the third time she forgot my birthday. "We'll make your birthday special. How about we take you and some of your school friends out today, okay?" I nodded.

"Okay, daddy."

***

I sat at the table, slowly spinning my spoon that sat in my cup of warm tea. I could feel my mother's strong eyes boring into me. I haven't seen Alene since my father's funeral and I could of gone without seeing her for a few more years, or until her funeral, but her persistent calling, texting and emailing finally broke me into meeting with her at the local diner. She looked like she hasn't slept in days and she didn't put that must effort into her outfit. I was strangely happy that she looked like sh*t.

"How are you?" she asked, taking a sip of her drink.

"I'm great. How are you?" I continued to move my spoon.

"I'm lovely. How is Carly?"

"She's great also." I refused to give her any actual information about our well being. She didn't deserve it. She sighed. 

"I know what you're doing, Kaylee. I wish you would stop being so rude. Some things never change, I suppose." I stopped turning the spoon and looked her in her eyes.

"Why should I give you anything short of a fist to your face?" She didn't budge at my threat and began sipping more of drink.

"I didn't come here to be argue with you. If I knew you were in one of your moods, I would've never agreed to meet with you." I grew angry. She acted like I wanted to see her. I swallowed down my foul words.

"Why do you keep harassing me?" I asked through my teeth. She abandoned me with absolutely no money, no way to take care of myself a few months shy of my 18th birthday. So it was safe to say I was still horribly pissed. She smiled.

"They found your father's will." I looked at her a little longer.

"Okay?" I already knew that they did but I wanted to know what any of this had to do with her. I haven't gathered the courage to read the will itself yet. It just felt like I was opening old wounds.

"He left me nothing." She took another sip, "And he left you everything." I grew surprised. I thought that he would leave her something. I watched him love her with all his heart while she gave him nothing but coldness in return. Maybe it was an act for me? I wouldn't be surprised, she was a terrible spouse  and mother. No one could be that naive. My attention was brought back to her when she opened her mouth. "It's a problem."

I laughed, "How is it a problem? You treated your husband and only child like garbage, and as soon as he died, you kicked me out on the street. What have you done to deserve any of his money? Maybe you should've taken better care yourself, then you wouldn't age like spoiled milk. " I could feel her getting angry.