Chapter 12

BEEP! BEEP! BEEP!

I groaned and opened my eyes. I recognized that sound. I looked around, and my surroundings confirmed my thoughts. I was in a hospital bed and that heart monitor was getting on my nerves. Suddenly, everything that happened crashed down and I gasped, remembering that Daxton was in the hospital.

"Oh no you don't." I looked up to see Rayna taking my hand away from the IV that was stuck in my arm.

"But I have to go see Daxton." I whined, reaching to pull out the needle again. She gave me a stern look.

"You fainted last time you saw Daxton. The nurse wants you to take it easy, especially since you're pregnant." I frowned. Just because I'm pregnant does not mean I'm made of freaking porcelain!

"I need to see him." I put on my sad face and hoped it worked. Rayna's face dropped and she huffed before looking around.

"Okay, but you have to be quick. These people watch patients like hawks." She pulled out my IV and helped me out of the bed. "Good thing you don't have those dingy hospital clothes on." I chuckled and stretched, feeling a bit sore. Probably from laying on the uncomfortable bed.

Ray stuck her head out the door first, made sure the coast was clear, and then led me to Daxton's room. No one was in there, thank god, and my chest tightened when I saw Dax for the second time. He still looked just as bad as he did earlier.

"I'll leave you two alone." Ray whispered. I nodded, not really caring. I glided to the chair beside his bed and sat down on it. He looked lost unrecognizable, but peaceful as he slept. I wondered how long he would be in the coma. What if he missed me having our baby?

The thought made tears leak out my eyes and I quickly wiped them away. I couldn't cry over him, I just couldn't. He's caused me nothing but grief. But then, he did have his nice days when he would care for me, make me feel loved....

Rapid beeping shocked me out of my thoughts my heart quickened. Nurses and doctor poured in, bustling around frantically.

"His heart rate is dropping!" One yelled. I got up from the chair, panicking.

"What's happening?" I asked, afraid of the answer. No one answered me. They took out some paddles and rubbed it together, spitting out some medial lingo that I could not understand. "Will someone please tell me what's going on?!" I yelled, pushing past the sea of medical assistants.

"Get her out of here!" A doctor ordered.

"No! I wanna know what's going on!" I yanked my arm out of one of the nurses hold and she hesitated. She knew that roughing me up would not be the smartest thing to do since I could press charges and I'm pregnant. I tried to peek around the white coats to see Daxton, but they blocked my view.

The main doctor walked my way, a grim line set on his face. "Ma'am, you need to leave so we can do our job. You being here will not help the situation."

"What's happening to him?" I whispered. He looked at the nurse before looking back at me.

"His heart stopped. We're trying out best to revive him." I gasped, hand flying to my mouth.

"No." I breathed out, tears spilling down my cheeks. "No...No! No!" I started yelling and swinging , not believing my ears. "Save him! Don't let him die!" Someone came from behind and pulled me out the room while I thrashed around.

"Arielle! Calm down!" Jeremy's voice filled my ear.

"He's going to die! He can't die! I can't be a single mother! I'll kill him if he dies! He can't-" Sobs overtook my body and I grabbed the front of Jeremy's shirt, letting it all out. His hand came around me and he rubbed my back. This went on for a while before I finally ran out of tears.