Ch. 19 (PG-13): A Tempered Hope

"Fire & Ice" (Revised for Wattpad), Ch. 19 (PG-13): A Tempered Hope , September 23, 2015 Gratiana Lovelace

(An original story copyrighted by Gratiana Lovelace, 2015; all rights reserved)

[From time to time, I will illustrate my story with images of actors representing my dream cast--including Richard Armitage as Thomas Kane and Anne Hathaway as Caroline Walters, Doris Roberts as Mrs. Burns, Tim Gamble as Peter Wendt, Brian Protheroe as Martin, Mary McDonnell as Mary, Seth Green as Todd, Raven Symone as Fiona, and Logan Lerman as Allen, Andrew May as Paul Foster, Sam Elliot as JakeHolder, and Blair Brown as Amanda Pritchett Holder, Antonio Velazquez, and others as noted in the image credits.] [(1) "Fire & Ice" story logo]

Author's Mature Content Note: "Fire & Ice" is romantic thriller story with mature themes (D for drama, S for sensuality, and V for violence) of love and relationships. Most chapters will be PG or PG-13. However, if you are unable or unwilling to attend a movie with the ratings that I provide, then please do not read that chapter. This is my disclaimer.

Author's Recap from the previous chapter: After seeing the news of Karmirastan's government embezzlement scandal splashed across the news after lunch, Thomas and Caroline feel a little more hopeful. Thomas' Division Team has obviously been busy and Amanda goes to check on some sources on the web while the Johnson family (Thomas/Kevin, Caroline/ Julia, and Trevor/Billy) visits the ponies with Jake before they put Trevor/Billy down for an afternoon nap. But this afternoon will turn out to be not as peaceful as they all hope. But, hope they will still find.

"Fire & Ice" (Revised for Wattpad), Ch. 19 (PG-13): A Tempered Hope

Trevor is itching to see his pony, Firelight, and he drags on his parents' arms as Jake leads them to the outdoor corrals. Of course, Thomas and Caroline are not too keen on the pony's name and hope that he will be a gentle ride for Trevor after his nap. Jake fills them in on some pony riding details.

Jake: "Now just to set yer minds at rest, our ponies that the kids ride are all gentle." But before Jake can continue, he is interrupted.

Trevor/Billy: "That's no fun! I want to go fast!" He skips and gallops toward the outdoor pony corral just a few yards away.

Caroline/Julia: "Be careful, Billy!" She calls after him. She looks around and notices the wide open spaces and worries.

Thomas/[Kevin]: Seeing the worry etched on Caroline's face, he tries to comfort her as he rubs her shoulders. "I'm sure it will be alright."

Jake: "Your husband's right, Maam--if I can speak out of turn. We have the little ones practice their riding in the corral before we go on the trails. And we have helmets and other padding gear for safety.

Thomas/Kevin: "That's nice." Then voicing Caroline's unspoken concern, he asks. "Are there many trails into the resort?

Jake: No fool he--having noticed the seemingly special interaction between his wife Miss Mandy and Kevin. "Kevin, is it?" Jake [(2)] raises his eyebrow as if to say, I have an inkling all is not what it seems. It is the ex Navy Seals in him coming out. "Only a mountain man like myself could find their way here from the surrounding forest. There are only two ways in and out of here--the road you came in on, and the lake." He narrows his eyes and nods at Thomas in that familiar government agent sort of way--not a secret handshake or code word, but almost.

Trevor/Billy: "Can I pet the ponies!" He asks excitedly--breaking the adults focus on other issues.

Caroline/Julia: "I don't know."