Ch. 8 (PG-13, S): Sunday Family Time

"Fire & Ice" (Revised for Wattpad), Ch. 8 (PG-13, S): Sunday Family Time, August 14, 2015 Gratiana Lovelace

(An original story copyrighted by Gratiana Lovelace, 2015; all rights reserved)

[From time to time, I will illustrate my story with images of actors representing my dream cast--including Richard Armitage as Thomas Kane and Anne Hathaway as Caroline Walters, Doris Roberts as Mrs. Burns, and others as noted in the image credits.] [(1) "Fire & Ice" story logo]

Author's Mature Content Note: "Fire & Ice" is romantic thriller story with mature themes (D for drama, S for sensuality, and V for violence) of love and relationships. Most chapters will be PG or PG-13. However, if you are unable or unwilling to attend a movie with the ratings that I provide, then please do not read that chapter. This is my disclaimer.

Author's Recap from the previous chapter: Trevor delights in introducing his Daddy to everyone at church on Sunday, then he falls asleep. But Sunday's family time together--and getting ready for the start of the work week on Monday--is just getting started.

"Fire & Ice", Chapter 8 (PG-13, S): Sunday Family Time

After the coffee hour at church, little Trevor starts to wake up about 11:15am as Caroline and Thomas drive him home. They know that he will need a potty break before they start to think about lunch—and he does go potty when they get home to Caroline's apartment. This is home, for now--their new normal. And they are relishing being together.

Since there is also a park across and one block down from Caroline's apartment building, the Walters-Kane family strolls across the street to the park. It is a lovely kid and family friendly park with playground equipment, benches, and a lake with ducks. Trevor likes the hot dogs that the street vendor sells. So, Thomas and Caroline and Trevor each order a hot dog and some lemon shake ups--a super sweet lemonade with crushed ice--then they sit at a wooden bench to eat their lunch.

Thomas: "Trevor, this is a very good hot dog. How is yours?" Thomas wipes some ketchup from the corner of his mouth. He wonders amusingly why hot dog vendor tend to overdo the condiments? Caroline just smiles at Thomas.

Trevor: "Yummy, Daddy. How is your hot dog Mommy?" Trevor's face is awash with ketchup from cheek to cheek, not worrying about wiping his face off until he is done eating. Well, he is only an almost three and a half year old. What do they care for fastidiousness?

Caroline: "Mine is yummy, too." Caroline takes small delicate bites, carefully managing her ketchup drip by licking off the excess first since she only has one hand to work with.

Trevor: "Mommy, may I play on the slide after lunch?"

Caroline: "Yes Trevor, but don't run around too much just yet. You know how your tummy gets upset." She leans in to Trevor and raises her eyebrows.

Trevor: "Yes, Mommy." He nods his head knowingly. Then he says to his Daddy by way of explanation. "Daddy, I don't want to toss my cookies again."

Thomas and Caroline both chuckle at Trevor using the idiomatic phrase properly. Of course, the first time Caroline used that phrase with Trevor--about tossing his cookies--he asked, what kind of cookies?

Thomas: "Of course, Trevor. I think that I'll follow Mommy's advice, too." Then Thomas leans in and kisses Caroline's cheek and she smiles.

After all three of them are done with their lunch, they decide to walk a bit toward the duck pond [(2)]. Caroline, of course, has some needed supplies for their trip there as usual.