Ch. 3 (PG-13, S): A Second Chance at Love

"Fire & Ice" (Revised for Wattpad), Ch. 3 (PG-13, S): A Second Chance at Love, August 05, 2015 Gratiana Lovelace

(An original story copyrighted by Gratiana Lovelace, 2015; all rights reserved)

[From time to time, I will illustrate my story with images of actors representing my dream cast--including Richard Armitage as Thomas Kane and Anne Hathaway as Caroline Walters, and others as noted in the image credits.] [(1) "Fire & Ice" story logo]

Author's Mature Content Note: "Fire & Ice" is romantic thriller story with mature themes (D for drama, S for sensuality, and V for violence) of love and relationships. Most chapters will be PG or PG-13. However, if you are unable or unwilling to attend a movie with the ratings that I provide, then please do not read that chapter. This is my disclaimer.

Author's Recap from the previous chapter:  Thomas perceiving that Caroline's son Trevor Thomas Walters is also his son, his mind is reeling--uncertainty, excitement, and love comingle in his thoughts. This night will reveal the future path of their lives as Thomas and Caroline have the most important conversation of their lives.

"Fire & Ice" (Revised for Wattpad), Ch. 3 (PG-13, S): A Second Chance at Love

Neither Thomas nor Caroline knows what to say to each other about the unspoken revelation that Caroline's son Trevor is Thomas' son, too. But, they each know that they don't want a repeat of the recriminations that broke them apart. Caroline [(2) ] hesitantly hopeful and Thomas subdued about the revelation that he has a son with her, sit on the couch facing each other—with Caroline sitting to Thomas' [left]--for the most important conversation of their lives.

After several awkward moments, Thomas breaks the silence by haltingly asking the hopeful question that his heart wants most answered.

Thomas: "Caroline... Trevor... he's ... ours , ... isn't he?" Thomas knows in his heart that Trevor is his son, but he needs to hear Caroline say it as confirmation.

Caroline: "Yes, Thomas. Trevor is your son." She says as calmly as she can. Thomas smiles lovingly at her and takes her uninjured hand in his. "Our son's full legal name is Trevor Thomas Walters Kane." Thomas closes his eyes and brings his hand up to his chin in shock as he processes the now confirmed fact that he has a son—a child born of his and Caroline's past love. Then Caroline continues. "I found out I was pregnant before we broke up and I was overjoyed! I was going to tell you that night ... the night you accused me of..." Caroline's voice trails away as she tries not to let the emotions she is feeling—love, loss, betrayal, anguish, and hope--overcome her. " But, I never got the chance and we broke up. I thought if I told you then that I was pregnant, you'd just think that he belonged to someone else. But, as I became more pregnant and I could feel our son moving inside me--and then when he was born—I tried to contact you again, several times, to tell you. But, you would never return my phone calls. And, I didn't think this was something that I could put in a letter." Caroline waits for Thomas to respond—wondering if Thomas will want to be a part of Trevor's life, and maybe be a part of her life.

Thomas: Then looking at Caroline soulfully, Thomas tries to make amends. "Caroline, I'm so sorry. I know now I was wrong and that you hadn't cheated on me. I found out a year after we broke up that Paul Foster had told lies about you to me to separate us--because he wanted you for himself. Needless to say, he and I are no longer friends. Then after I found out, I wanted to find you, but I didn't think that you would take me back. ... I didn't think that I deserved to be taken back. I had betrayed our love by not trusting it—by not trusting you."

Caroline: "We loved each other then. Why didn't you trust me, Thomas? Why didn't you believe me when I said I was faithful to you?" She asks a tad accusatorially. It is a question she has agonized over for four years.