So who would've won in the end?

No one.

If I had been the physical winner, I would still have lost. I would have still made the same mistake that left me with a scarred face. I would've hurt Alec and even though he probably deserved it, I would've hurt him severely; how was I to look at Everett after that?

And if Alec was the physical winner?

Then I would have been the one who was severely injured and that would have distanced my nephew and his father even more.

I should know better than this! I should have more self-control!

Threatening to mess with my mate was all that took to make me see red; how was I to prove myself worthy for that boy if I lost my temper so easily?

He already feared me; wasn't I giving him a just reason with my behavior?

"Well..." Alec walked into the kitchen, threw the empty ice cream container in the trash and placed the spoon in the sink. "If you all intend to be reasonable and boring - and since you are out of ice cream and have no milk for a smoothie or a shake - I'll be leaving."

"Wait." My voice was almost anger-free. Apparently that level of composure was enough for Everett and dad to deem me safe enough to be freed from their grips.

"What do you want?" Alec was already by the front door, swinging his black leather jacket over his shoulder, his face a perfect depiction of boredom.

"I am the Beta of the Silver Bullets pack and you will show me respect."

"I'm not from this pack." He reminded me.

"But you did as I commanded tonight." I refreshed his memory in turn, taking a step towards him. "When I ordered for everyone to get back into the pub, you did so too."

"I figured it might be more fun to mess with you and your mate if you got to know him a bit first."

My lips parted in surprise and his turned up in a haughty smile.

"It was pretty obvious what was going on. Even Everett and the other dogs noticed." He nodded towards his father.

"If your dad is a 'dog', Alec, then you are half a dog yourself." Mom's voice was perfectly even.

"And half a bat," Kennedy added. "So in the end you are just a winged dog."

"At least I have more bat than dog."

"Not a good thing in your case..."

"Species is not the issue here," I cut my youngest brother off.

"But it should be." Alec tilted his head to the side. "How will your monkey react when he finds out what you are?"

The tingle in my nails told me they were about to bet longer, but this time I managed to prevent that on my own by clenching and unclenching my fists.

"Don't call him a monkey." My voice barely shook.

"That's what humans are - evolved monkeys." He reached for the door handle. "And I cannot call him by his name because someone didn't ask for it."

"Stay where you are!" I shouted when he opened the door.

He turned to me and rolled his eyes.

"Don't worry; I've found someone else to play with tonight. Besides, it might be more fun to just observe... for now anyway."

He dashed out and I sprinted after him, but I'd only taken a few steps - enough to get me to the door - before I decided against pursuing him. Alec was faster than me and if he had truly set his mind on someone else, it would've been better if I did not draw his attention to my mate.