"Uh huh," I muttered.

       "What about you, Nick?" Dad asked. "Anything new?"

       "Not really," Nick said. "I'm top in my art class, though. My teacher loves my paintings. Not to brag, or anything."

       Dad smiled. "That's great. I would love to see your paintings someday."

       Nick pulled out his cell phone. "I have a few pictures saved on here."

       He handed Dad his cell phone, who smiled even brighter as he swiped through the photos. "These are amazing, Nick! You definitely didn't get my artistic abilities because all I could draw is stick figures."

       "Thanks," Nick said. "I was even asked to paint a mural at school."

       "Amazing!" Dad said as the food came. He thanked the waiter before continuing his conversation with Nick. I couldn't help but roll my eyes a few times. How could Nick forgive Dad so easily? Sure, he's our dad, but he hadn't raised us for ten years. Our grandparents did for five, and now Laughlin was.

       "Laughlin, anything new with you?" Dad asked.

       "A lot," Laughlin said. "Look, I appreciate you trying to connect with us again, but you missed a hell of a lot of momentous occasions for us."

       "Surely I didn't miss that much," Dad said.

       "My first day of high school," I said. "Nick's first day of high school."

       "My graduation," Laughlin said.

       "I'm sorry I wasn't there for you," Dad said. "I truly am."

       Laughlin put down his fork and looked at Dad with a serious look. "I was able to overlook you not being there for my graduation," he said. "But you missed one of the most important things that ever happened to me and you can never get a second chance to see it happen."

       "And what is that?" Dad asked.

       "The birth of my daughter," Laughlin replied.

       Dad looked very shocked to hear that. "You....You have a kid?"

       "Yeah," Laughlin said. "Elizabeth. She's two now. And my second child will be here in a few weeks."

       "I'm sorry I missed it," Dad said. "I can't believe I missed the birth of my first granddaughter. Laughlin, I'm really sorry. What does she look like?"

       Reluctantly, Laughlin handed Dad his cell phone. Elizabeth was the wallpaper and when Dad saw it, he smiled. "She's beautiful. Blond hair. Blue eyes. You know who she reminds me of?" Laughlin shrugged in reply. "She reminds me of Elliot. Are the two of you still together?"

       "Seeing as she's the mom of Elizabeth, yeah," Laughlin said. "By the way, you missed our wedding. I tried sending you an invitation, but I couldn't find you anywhere."

       "Wow, I feel awful," Dad said. "I also missed my oldest son's wedding. I am a horrible Dad."

       "You got that right," I muttered.

       "Really, Munro?" Nick asked.

       "No, it's fine," Dad said. "I know I haven't made the best choices. I just really hope you three give me a second chance now."

       "And what if Mom comes back?" I asked. "She's the whole reason our family is a mess."

       "I can assure you, it won't happen," Dad said. "We already got divorced."