THE KING AND THE QUEEN(play)

Rabindranath Tagore

ACT I

The Palace Garden. King VlKRAM and Queen SUMITRA.

VIKRAM।

Why have you delayed in coming to me for so long, my love?

SUMITRA।

Do you not know, my King, that I am utterly yours, wherever I am? It was your house, and its service, that kept me away from your presence, but not from you.

VIKRAM।

Leave the house, and its service, alone. My heart cannotspare you for my world, I am jealous of its claims.

SUMITRA।

No, King, I have my place in your heart, as your beloved, and in your world, as your Queen.

VIKRAM।

Alas, my darling, where have vanished those daysof unalloyed joy, when we first met in love; when our world awoke not, -only the flush of the early dawn of our union broke through our hearts in over-flowing silence? You had sweet shyness in your eyelids, like a dew drop on the tip of a flower- petal, and the smile flickered on your lips like a timid evening lamp in the breeze. I remember the eager embrace of your love, when the morning broke and we had to part, and your unwilling steps, heavy with languor, that took you away from me. Where were the house, and its service, and the cares of your world?

SUMITRA।

But then we were scarcely more than a boy and a girl; and to-day we are the King and the Queen.

VIKRAM।

The King and the Queen? Mere names. We are more than that; we are lovers.

SUMITRA।

You are my King, my husband, and I am content to follow your steps. Do not shame me by putting me before your kingship.

VIKRAM।

Do you not want my love?

SUMITRA।

Love me truly by not making your love extravagant; for truth can afford to be simple.

VIKRAM।

I do not understand woman's heart.

SUMITRA।

King, if you thriftlessly squander your all upon me, then I shall be deprived.

VIKRAM।

No more vain words, Queen. The birds' nests are silent with love. Let lips keep guard upon lips, and allow not words to clamour.

(Enters ATTENDANT)

ATTENDANT।

The minister begs audience, to discuss a grave matter of state.

VIKRAM।

No, not now.

(ATTENDANT goes)

SUMITRA।

Sire, ask him to come.

VIKRAM।

The state and its matter can wait. But sweet leisure comes rarely. It is frail, like a flower. Respite from duty is a part of duty.