Prologue: Fifteen Years

It had been fifteen years since Hannah Christie had met Dr. James Wilson. He had come to her, of course, after finding an advertisement of hers in the newspaper. He was looking into his marriage - his first one, anyway. He was just about to graduate from medical school, but lately his marriage was seeming a bit shallow. Hannah had drawn Death, the Five of Cups, and the Moon - the very next day his wife had given him the divorce papers and surprisingly enough, he was sent to jail over a bar fight.

It had been eight years since Hannah Christie had moved to Pennsylvania. James Wilson came to see Hannah at least once a month for an entire year. Ever since his first failed marriage, he couldn't stop thinking about how her prediction was right. As a Jew, he never thought he would turn to tarot and mind reading - much less that those two things would be so accurate - but there was something about Hannah that didn't seem fake. He was amazed by her so-called 'powers', but he was getting nervous again, worried that what had happened before would happen again.

It had been five years since James had become paranoid about his marriage, and would come visit Hannah for even the smallest of doubts. An unlikely demotion, or somebody out to get him, silly nothings like that. After every tarot session, there would always be another one of a different kind.

It had been three years since they ended their affair. Seeing each other once a month for two years was boring and tiresome, and even though Hannah knew the whole time, she was starting to get nervous about his wife. What would she think about him going on 'monthly business trips' outside the state? It was all quite suspicious, Hannah supposed. She knew, quite literally, that James felt the same way. The falling out was mutual.

It had been two years since Hannah Christie and Dr. James Wilson cut all ties from each other. They needed nothing to do with each other despite the fact that he knew his marriage would fail. He hadn't been the most discrete, but he also didn't regret anything. They would never admit it to anyone, but sometimes, every once in a while, they would miss each other.

It had been six months since James Wilson got married a third time. He remembered how one night, when he had gone to visit Hannah, they jokingly promised that she would go to his next wedding. He might have lied when he said he deleted her phone number and shredded her address - just in case, he excused. He invited her regardless. What a silly mistake; she never showed up.

It had been two weeks since Hannah relocated once again, this time to New Jersey, not fifteen blocks away from the Princeton-Plainsboro Teaching Hospital. She'd finally pushed James Wilson to the back of her mind, and had taken up the false name Mara Dadario. Business, though small at the moment, was about to boom, and the cards revealed to her something more - some new advancement.

It had been three minutes since Mara Dadario had received a call from a 'James Wilson', looking for an appointment with her the following day. It had been three minutes since Hannah Christie's past came flooding back to her. And it had been three minutes since Hannah Christie went through heart failure because of a severe case of iron-deficiency anemia, leaving Dr. James Wilson hanging on the other end.