Chapter 2: Flash of Light

Dad, Ella, and I had our first dinner in our house. Canned Chicken Noodle Soup. I spent a few minutes in Ella's room talking to her then slowly walked back to mine.

I looked at the room in the middle of the two doors and sighed. I couldn't get it out of my mind. It looked strange. It felt strange. It was strange.

I shook my head, opened my door and sat on my bed. But I couldn't go to sleep, my mind was too confused. Was this like in those horror movies? Or was it just my imagination?

I had just decided I was going to go to the kitchen for a glass of water when a flash of light caught my attention from outside of my door then a crash coming from down the hall and smaller objects started falling down on the ground. I got quietly onto my feet.

I pulled my door open and popped my head out. No one in the hall but the room down from my door was open and another room was open too and the noises were coming from there. I snuck out and crept down the hall. I looked through the crack in the door and saw a pair of tennis shoes. A guy's pair.

I laid my head down and felt something wet. I threw my head back up and looked at it. It was snow. Why was snow here? I shrugged and looked at the crack again.

I could hear him muttering to himself then threw a few boxes out of the way. I flinched when the boxes slammed right next to me. "It's not here!" He groaned loudly and started stomping back to the door.

I panicked. He was coming back over here. I backed away and darted into a random room next to the room he was in. Right when I softly closed the door behind me, I heard a door open from across the hall.

Soft stomping, then a door opening next to me. It never closed. I opened my door and looked to the right.

The door was open just a crack. I walked over to the door and grabbed the handle and opened the door to see... an empty room. Well, it wasn't entirely empty. There was a single oval shaped mirror standing on the ground, leaning up against the wall.

I looked around but it was just an empty room with a mirror in it. Where did that boy go? I felt around the room looking for a hidden door or a crack or anything that gave me a clue about where the boy went, but it looked like he just vanished.

I sighed, throwing my hands up in the air and walked back to my room and lied down on my bed.

"Where did he go?" I spoke out loud putting my hand over my eyes.

I blinked feeling tired suddenly. I curled up with my blankets thrown everywhere around my bed and fell asleep.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

I think it was somewhere around 2:30 when I was waken by that same flash of light. I quickly jumped up and ran into the hallway, determined to find this guy who was running around my house breaking stuff. I ran down the hall and stopped in front of the room with the mirror.

Another bright flash of light came from inside and I grabbed the handle, hoping to trap them in. The handle jiggled but after a while, it stopped.

No flashes of light happened again so I opened the door suddenly and I saw a guy about 15, my age, standing in the middle of the room with a small oval shaped object up to his ear. He was talking to someone I noticed but he stopped when I opened the door and looked at me.

I gasped. Warmth spread over me. I couldn't feel my legs and it felt like he was the only person in the world. For a second his eyes settled over me and his eyes were gentle like a baby bear sleeping. His hair was a little long like he haven't cut it in a while and his skin was smooth.
I quickly shook my head.

"Who are you and how did you get in here?" I growled at him. He seemed surprised for a moment then quickly got over it. His "bear eyes" turned quickly to dark angry eyes.

But he seemed curious. "The bigger question is...how did you get in here?" He smirked a little, impressed. "What do you mean? It just opened." He suddenly frowned. "But only royalty or people with special permission from the queen can go through that door." "Wait what?" The boy sighed. "Are you from this world?"

Now I was really confused. "This world?" The boy sighed again. He sure liked to do that. "Whatever. Just... forget what you saw tonight. I'll be back when the queen tells me what to do with you. No human from this world has ever passed through our borders." Then just like that he jumps through the mirror.

I gasp. It was like magic. How did he do that? I touched the mirror slightly and it rippled under my fingernails and they soon disappeared. My fingers felt cold. Freezing really. It was snow. Where did this mirror go to? I brought my hand back.

The boy said he would be back. I shrugged. He can wait for me. I walked back to my room and sat on my bed. I grabbed my book that I was reading on the trip here and continued reading. A few minutes later, I was sound asleep.

A bucket of ice cold snow woke my me up a few hours later. I gasped and a hand flew over my mouth. I pushed the snow out of my eyes and saw the boy again. "How did you get snow? It's like 1000 degrees outside."

He rolled his eyes. "I didn't get it from this world genius." I scoffed and shook off the remaining of the snow. "Did 'the Queen' finally say something to do about me?" "Yes." The boy said with a blank face.

"You will be brought to the Queen. She will see if you are a regular human and the magic is wearing thin or if you are from my world." I laughed mockingly.

"Yep. I'm totally going with you." He nodded and touched my forehead and my eyes shut and I fell to the ground.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~