Mother Nature Built a Coffin (A Short Story)

It's dark; Too dark to be daytime but too early to be nighttime.

Let me start from the beginning. My name is Anthony Grey. I'm just a normal guy with a normal job. I recently saved up enough money to move to a new town. It's closer to my job and the whole area was just built.

 A new house. Who would have ever imagined? It's been a few weeks since I moved into my new home. Only me and my cat, Horus. I know you're probably thinking, 'What kind of single guy gets a cat?' Well, Horus was my ex girlfriend's cat. She didn't want him anymore because he triggered her allergies, but she didn't just want to abandon him. So, he's been with me ever since.

Anyway, I'll start with day one. I pulled into the driveway of my new home with a grin. The living room was spacious and had multiple windows to look out onto the porch. The first few days consisted of getting my internet and cable set up, and I hardly had any time to explore the property.

It was Wednesday of the first week when I noticed it.

It wasn't too drastic, but I took note of it. The weeds. They were everywhere. I hadn't noticed it when I looked at the house the first few times. The backyard was plagued with weeds and overgrown shrubs. There was a tall willow tree in the center of the yard that gave it an ominous glow; Like a centerpiece adorning a dinner table after a funeral.

I looked out my back door for awhile. That tree seemed to grab my attention, screaming to be my point of interest. I immediately called the landscaping company and asked if they could clean up my yard. They told me tomorrow morning and I breathed a sigh of relief.

The yard made me uneasy.

Not the property itself. Just the fact that I hadn't noticed all those weeds before. It was strange to not notice something so apparent.

The next morning I awoke to the sound of lawnmowers and edgers. I smiled and stretched. Horus was in his usual spot at the edge of my bed, curled into a ball. I pulled down the covers and swung my feet over the side of the bed. I dropped my boxers and pulled off my white t-shirt as I made my way to the shower. I took a hot shower and dressed appropriately for work. Before I left, I looked out into the backyard; Neat and tidy, just the way I liked it. The whole yard had been trimmed to perfection. I smiled before paying the man and heading to work. 

I made it to work in about 30 minutes, rather than 45. I felt refreshed. Knowing I'd be leaving work to a new home and clean property made me feel a twinge of pride.

 I stopped off at a convenience store on my way home to grab a case of beers. I stowed them in my car and drove toward my home at a relaxed speed.

I waved to my new neighbors who moved up the block from me. They waved back and smiled accordingly;  A young, blond haired woman and her husband. I made a mental note to introduce myself as I continued home. As I focused on the road ahead, my mood changed immediately; thick, tangled weeds sprouted up from the yard.

The front yard.

"What the hell?"

I turned into my driveway, slightly irritated. I had seen the landscapers cut my grass and even edge the driveway and shrubs. I exited my car and shoved the key into my front door. Vines were growing around the sides of my porch, inching their way toward my new home. I scoffed and pushed the door open. Horus scampered by me and bolted into the street.

"Shit. Horus!"

I jogged after the stupid cat and scooped him up.

"What the hell is wrong with you?" I asked the cat as if he would answer me.

I made it back up my driveway and into the house. I shut the door behind me and placed Horus down. He immediately began crying and scratching at my front door. I shook my head and walked into my dining room. There was a clear view of the backyard from my dining room, and I stared outside the back door in horror.