~5~

It's day two of my stay here and I'm so tired of being in this uncomfortable hospital bed. The doctor had ran some tests today and it's now almost noon, which means it's lunch time.

"I wonder what they're going to give me to eat today..." I think to myself.

Then I heard a knock at the door. "Miss Caldwell here's your lunch, enjoy." The nurse said, wheeling in a cart with a scary looking grilled chicken sandwich and a side salad on a plate.

"Thank you" I said as she walked out.

I took one bite and I could barely keep from spitting it out. It was just as gross as the lunch at school.
I took a drink of water to desperately try to rid my mouth of the taste when I heard yet another knock on the door.

"Come in!" I yelled so they could hear me. The doctor came in then with a paper in his hands. It must've been results from blood tests and the other tests he ran.

"Hello doc, what's the diagnosis?" I say jokingly.

He laughs and tells me the best news I've heard in a while.

"Well...miss you're free to go. You're tests all came back negative, so just remember to take it easy for a couple of days and then you'll be good as new. All you have to do is sign this paper."

"Oh okay. Thank you doc." I said, taking the paper and pen from his hand and signing my name.

"No problem. Also, you can see your mother now too. She's in stable condition."

"Alright." I say and then get up slowly and go to the restroom to get my clothes on. I didn't have any other clothes except the ones I was wearing the other night, but it's better than being out in public with just a hospital drape on.

After that I ask the lady at the desk what room my mother is in and she tells me B 125 and so I go down the elevator and walk down a couple halls until I find it. I see her laid up with bandages on her face and she has oxygen tubes in. She's awake luckily, and she smiles weakly when she sees me.

I return a smile and then walk in and sit next to her.

"Thank you so much Haven...." She says almost in a whisper.

"I would've been dead if you hadn't shown up."

"It's no problem mom...I couldn't stand around and watch him do that to you. I had to do something about it."

"What happened to you dear? I heard you'd been jumped..."

"Yeah by those bullies who always jump me. I felt like I was dying, until this man came out of the pub and saved me. It was after I filed a report against Jack. He won't bother us for a while mom, so don't worry about him, and don't worry about me now. I'm all better." I say grasping her cool hand, reassuring her.

A tear falls down her cheek and she just looks at me and smiles.

"I love you Havie" she says. That's my nick name that only she calls me by.

"I love you too mom, now get some rest. I'm going to head back to the house." I say kissing her forehead.

"Alright love, be safe."

"I will." I say, and then head out the door.

I make my way out of the hospital and smell the crisp air. It's so nice to not be cooped up in there anymore.

As I make my way home, I see them again. Walking with a strut until they see me. They stop cold and then turn down an alleyway.

That was weird. They usually target me and chase after me until I get home, but instead they ran scared. Good.

I walked for another 20-30 minutes until I got home and went inside. They said to take it easy which ended up only working for about 4 hours. I got fed up with laying around watching tv so I got my keys and went to the mall. I had gotten my paycheck a couple days ago and wanted to put it to good use, so I went and bought a couple shirts and a jacket because it was starting to get cooler outside. It was about 6:00 pm when I got home and so I decided to cook some dinner. Usually Jack would yell at me to make dinner and if I refused he'd hit me. Times like this make me happy that he's rotting in jail for a while.

After I finished my dinner I took a hot shower and then went to bed. I guess tomorrow I'll go back to work. I don't have much to do around here anyways.