Chapter 16

I mulled over showing up or not. Harry was still in Holmes Chapel while I had returned to London. It felt odd to have even been invited to something without Harry attending. In the end Tessa had convinced me. She should have been a lawyer or something, her persistence was frightening. In the end I caved and slung a deep purple circle scarf around my neck complimenting the look of my navy jumper and soft black jeans. The black heels I wore were perfect, they looked fantastic but I could only wear them for five minutes; the perfect length from the car to the door.

“You made it!” Zayn cheered wrapping his arms around me.

“Yeah, hi!” I said with equal enthusiasm. I could hear the loud voices and music blaring from behind him. I pulled out of the hug and felt queasy. I hadn’t met many of Harry’s friends and now I was going to without him.

“You’re looking tall tonight.” I rolled my eyes as I held his bicep to balance myself. I hooked my thumb into the heel of my shoes and took them off. I noted the way he held my arm to steady me. I straightened up and glared at him, my eyes level with his mouth. “Oh, that explains it.” he chuckled and I hit his arm.

“I am tall!” I defied.

“Next to who? Harry’s the tallest outta all of us.” It was true though. I barely reached Harry’s chin. His height was probably my favourite thing about him. He was tall and strong and could shelter me from anything. Especially awkward social gatherings. “Does he know you’re here?” He asked and I zoned out of my Harry trance shaking my head.

“Nope.” I popped rocking back onto my heels. I didn’t understand why he even asked, there was no point of telling him really. If he could hang with his family, and be around Cecilia, than I could be with his and hopefully my friends. I trusted him, I didn’t harp on him therefore he could show me the same respect. I sighed loudly to which Zayn noticed. Harry hadn’t called in nearly three days and although it wasn’t a long time, my worry of his past frightened me.

“Well… Tessa’s already raving about you to the girls.” He laughed and I shook my head with a small smirk. Of course she was. When he led me into the room Tessa’s eyes shot to me and she jumped out of her chair screeching. Her energy was magnetic and I instantly felt calmer. She embraced me in a hug with a chaste kiss on the cheek.

“I’ve missed you so much Lauren.” She squealed and I laughed hugging her tighter. It had only been three weeks but it felt like forever.

“I missed you too.” I smiled before we parted. She grasped my wrist and introduced me to everyone. There was a fair amount of people, most of which were dressed much nicer than I.

“I’m surprised Haz let you out looking that good.” Louis winked and I rolled my eyes.

“On the contrary Lou, Harry doesn’t know.” Zayn winked and I looked back to Tessa with a shrug. I was still confused why it was a big deal but some of the girl’s looked concern and Niall let out a loud “Ooooh!”

“What?” I asked taking a seat beside Zayn on the couch.

Zayn snorted and put his arm around me. He leaned in letting his scent override my senses. It was musky and spicy, unlike Harry. “Well you know that Harry’s…possessive.” He said in a hushed tone yet everyone could hear.

“Like, if Harry saw that,” Louis gestured to Zayn’s arm around my shoulders. “Zayn would probably be knocked unconscious.”

The room burst out into laughter before a louder song began playing. Zayn stood up and offered me his hand which I kindly took as I stood to join him. It gave me an uneasy feeling to know that Harry wouldn’t be too pleased to see his mate with his arm around me. But then again, I had seen him hugging his friend so it was the same.