Chapter 16: The slip up

A/N: I will never forgive myself for not updating in forever
Thank you @HelloLittleReader for helping me come up with an idea for this chapter months ago.
***********************

"What do you mean, Brian?!" John shouted to their manager.

"I mean when you and Paul snuck off someone saw, you nit!" Brian replied with a raised voice.

"We'll be more careful next time, Brian. I promise" Paul said with his head hung.

"That's what you don't get. There can't be a next time! Someone saw you and John sneak off to kiss or whatever at the party and they saw! They told! Words around that you two are dating!" The tiered manager threw his arms up in the air.

"Well let them! There's nothing wrong with what Paul and I are doing! This is bullshit!" John got up and stormed out of the main room of Paul and John's hotel room to the bedroom.

"Did they see them kiss or just walk off together?" George spoke up for the first time since Brian came in the room.

"There was walking off and some closeness... I don't know it all, boys. I just know that there are press out there who need a good story." Brian sighed while rubbing his temples with his thumb and index finger.

"There's got to be people who don't believe that John and Paul are together. Paul is looked at as the ladies man and John gets looked at like he's too tough to be queer for a band member. They just have to keep their distance from each other for a bit. Not ignore each other 'cause that would be suspicious but just not as close. No wondering off alone." Ringo added into the conversation.

John walked back into the main room, pacing but looking calmer than when he left.

"I'm not breaking up with Paul, Brian" John mumbled.

"You don't have to. Just keep your distance. Don't get as close. We just have to wait this thing out. People won't think you guys are queer for each other fifty years from now." Brian replied to John.

"He's right" Paul nodded.

"John, I just have to know- if it came to it, would you two choose each other or the band?" Brian raised a brow.

"Each other"

"The band"

Both men answered simultaneously then slowly looked at each other as John stopped pacing.

"You'd chose the band?" Paul asked

An awkward silence fell over the room.

"Yeah. It's the logical choice" John answered slowly, trying not to hurt Paul but still with a hint of edge to his voice.

"You should start making the heart choice instead of the brain choice" Paul answered back.

"You mean I should start making the choice you want me to make. The brain choice is where all the logical answers come from, Paul. The heart choice is where you'll find the answers that are going to get you hurt. Choosing us over the band will get all of us hurt."

John stood in front of where Paul was sat.

"You just said you wouldn't break up with me though. You're just kind of confusing me now" Paul stood as well, with three feet between him and John.

"I won't break up with you over this. Definitely not. I love you too much to leave you that easily. I'm saying if it was life threatening, band or us- I would choose the band. It would be safer. I couldn't stand seeing you get hurt because we stayed together. George and Ringo would be affected by our choice as well. That isn't fair to them." John said with soft eyes as he tried to show Paul his reasoning.