I felt a sudden rage shoot up from my chest as I replied. “What the hell do you think I’m talking about Sam?! You couldn’t spare me the news that you’re going home at the end of the week? You just allowed me to fall deeper in love with you? Is this how you were going to end it? End us? By leaving without even telling me?”

                He jumped off the bed and made his way over to me. I stood motionless as he took me in his arms. “Cammei.. don’t you ever say that again. Please don’t. I couldn’t tell you because I knew that after I actually said the words, it would be true. I knew that there was no turning back, and I can’t turn away from the fact that I have fallen in love with you.”

                “I know, but what are we supposed to do? Long distance relationship? Everyone knows that those never last, Sam. We live 1,200 miles apart! South Padre is a huge distance from Chicago.”

                “So what exactly are you getting at?” He asked irritably, pushing me away from his chest.

                I ran a hand through my hair and shakily exhaled. Should I say it? A tear escaped from the corner of my eye as I slid off the ring he had given me not two hours ago. The memories of it hit me all at once. I took a breath. “I think this was a mistake. Falling for you, loving you.. We should have known, Sam, that this was how it ends: leaving, forgetting, stopping.”

                I saw him intake a sudden breath as if he’d been slapped as I grabbed him hand and dropped the promise ring he had given me into it. “So this it, huh? So much for a promise.”

                I put my face into my hands as I started to silently cry. “I’m sorry, Sam.”

                “I think you should go.”

                His words hurt, but I knew they were true and so in return I just nodded. I slowly turned around and as soon as I stepped out of the doorway, he slammed it. I ran into my room as I felt the tears. As I shut the door I slid down the wall and let the sobs overtake my body as what had just happened just took effect on my mind.

                Sam and I were done.