The Aftermath

"You made friends with a Serpentine?!" your roommate demands.

You shrug. "I didn't do it on purpose."

Your roommate shakes her head. "I knew you were crazy, but I didn't know you were that crazy."

"Hey, I didn't see you coming up with any ideas! And we didn't get killed or hypnotized or anything, so obviously it was a good idea."

"Define 'good,'" Your roommate mutters.

"We survived. Shut up." You decide to ignore your roommate until further notice.

The two of you sit in silence for a while until you hear a knock at the door. When your roommate doesn't move from her spot on her bed, you reluctantly get up and answer it.

Jay, dressed in his blue hoodie and jeans, grins at you. "Surprise, y/n! It's me!"

"Jay!" You throw your arms around him and kiss him. "What are you doing here?"

"I came as soon as I heard about those Serpentine," Jay says. "Are you okay?"

You laugh and give Jay a hug. "I'm fine. You didn't have to come all the way out here, you know."

"Don't be silly, y/n, you're my girlfriend. Of course I came out here for you!" Jay lowers his voice to a whisper. "Actually, I've been looking for an excuse to visit. Not that I'm being clingy or anything, of course, it's just that I've missed you so much—"

"Dork," you tease. "I'm glad you're here, Jay. I've missed you, too."

"Phew."

Your roommate coughs loudly into her hand. "Are you gonna introduce me, y/n?" she asks, giving you a wow-he's-hot look.

You give her a back-off-he's-mine look and say, "This is my boyfriend, Jay. Jay, this is my roommate."

"Nice to meet you," Jay says, seemingly oblivious to the tension between you and your roommate. "So, where am I going to sleep? Looks like I get the floor," he continues without pausing for breath. "Okay, I'll just borrow some blankets and make myself a bed."

You can't help but laugh at Jay's irrepressible energy. "Jay, Jay, Jay, slow down. How many times do I have to tell you, one thing at a time?"

Jay smacks his head with his hand. "Right. One thing at a time. Okay, so I'll sleep on the floor while I'm staying here and—ooh! Halloween is coming! We can dress up and everything! This is gonna be great! Oh, and I should buy some food so I'm not a burden while I'm here..."

Your roommate stares at Jay incredulously while you shake your head and laugh. Sure, Jay's already at it again, but hey, that's why you love him.