Your First Date

You make your way toward a giant willow tree near the bank of a river. The hanging branches completely block your view of what’s inside, but this is where Jay told you to meet. You check behind you and push through the branches, trying not to let them get caught in your hair.

You finally make it through the leafy curtain and gasp in amazement. Beams of sunlight shine through the top of the tree and illuminate patches of leaves. It’s almost as bright under the tree as it is outside, and the wind makes the leaves rustle soothingly. It feels like you’ve stepped into another world, somewhere out of a fairytale.

Jay is sitting on a (favorite color) blanket with a picnic basket next to him. He already has a few sandwiches and some cans of (favorite soda) set out on paper plates.

“Hey, y/n,” Jay greets you. “Whoa…”

You look down at your clothes. “Well, now I feel a little silly. I’m completely overdressed.” You’re wearing a knee-length blue dress with matching flats, a peacock necklace, and peacock earrings. Your hair is pulled up into a bun and secured with a peacock hair comb/ornament.

Jay shakes his head. “You could never be overdressed, y/n. you look perfect.”

You sit down and smile at Jay. “You really think so?”

Jay takes your hand. “I don’t have to think so. I know so.”

You lean over and kiss his cheek. “You’re sweet.” Jay blushes and grins from ear to ear.

You and Jay talk and laugh and enjoy the food. You’re reaching for another piece of watermelon when you accidentally drip watermelon juice all over Jay.

“Sorry!” you yelp, but Jay has a sneaky look on his face.

“It is so on, y/n!” Jay grabs a banana and throws it at you. You retaliate with half a sandwich. The food fight goes on for another few minutes before you and Jay are both laughing too hard to throw straight. Both of you have smears of food on your clothes.

“Sorry about your dress,” Jay says.

“That’s okay,” you tell him. “It’s washable. I’m more worried about your gi.”

Jay shakes his head. “Wouldn’t be a proper ninja gi if it wasn’t washable.”

“You know,” Jay says after a while, “I once read this huge book.”

You wait long enough for Jay to realize that you can see right through him before you ask, “How big?”

Jay holds his hands a few inches apart. “About thiiiiiiii-” he draws out the ‘I’ and spreads his hands apart until his arms are loosely wrapped around you “-iiis big.”

You giggle and snuggle against Jay’s chest. “That’s pretty big.”

“It’s pretty special,” Jay replies. He gently hugs you against him. You close your eyes and smile so widely that your face hurts.