Chapter 18

Cynthia sat on the bed with her back against the wall, her ankles and wrists tied with rope. She looked at the two men sitting at a small square table. They were playing cards and she was thankful their attention was away from her and on the game.

She didn't understand what was going on. Who were these men and why had they taken her? She saw and heard enough to know that Audrey had met them before. They seemed to recognize each other, but by the way they treated Audrey, it was clear to her they weren't exactly friends. That in itself made her feel even more frightened.

She didn't know where Audrey had been taken to after they had injected her last night. She had passed out and Cynthia had been blindfolded soon after. She knew they had stopped twice. The first stop had been to drop off Audrey and they continued driving for about twenty more minutes before they stopped again. When her blindfold had finally come off, she was standing in this room. They had tied her up without saying another word to her. She had been too scared to ask any questions after what she had seen happen to Audrey.

"I need to use the bathroom." Cynthia called out to the men.

Both of them turned around and mumbled to each other before the older one, who Cynthia believed was named Nico, walked over to her. He sat on the bed next to her and began to untie the rope around her ankles.

"I'm going to untie you, walk you to the bathroom and wait for you outside. If you are not out in three minutes, I'm going to walk right in. Do you understand?" He told Cynthia.

Cynthia nodded.

"Don't even think about trying anything...it's not worth it...it won't end well for you if you do."

"I'm not going to try anything. I just need to use the bathroom." Cynthia reassured him as he began untying her hands.

Nico pulled her up and walked her to the small bathroom across the room. Despite knowing it was a long shot, Cynthia hoped to find even a small window in the bathroom. Her hopes were crushed when she found herself in a compact room with a toilet, a sink and no window.

As she had agreed, she was opening the door back into the room before the three minute deadline.

"Are you hungry?" Nico asked.

Cynthia nodded, having heard her stomach grumble a few hours ago.

"Leo! Run out and get us some food." Nico yelled out to the other man who was shuffling the cards on the table.

"Frank said not to move from here." he said looking at Nico.

"Well you don't expect us to starve, do ya?"

"But what if Frank..."

"It's not like she'll be left alone...I'll be here. Go on then."

Leo hesitated, but stood up and walked towards the door.

"What shall I get?" He asked.

"Whatever the bloody hell you want!" Nico said annoyed.

"Alright...alright." Leo mumbled as he walked out and closed the door behind him.

Nico walked Cynthia back to the bed and sat her down.

"Now...you and I are going to take this time to get to know each other a little better."

***

"Frank. What are you doing here?"

"I've come to see Resi." Frank said as he walked in and stood in front of Sofia.

"Now you remember she's your daughter?" Sofia asked with cynicism.

"Sofia..."

"Don't you dare come in here and think you're going to manipulate me like you do everyone else in your life. I know who you are Frank. I knew you before you became...this!" Sofia said motioning to Frank. "And Resi...she couldn't count on you before, she sure as hell doesn't need you now! I don't want you here. You need to leave."