I could smell the food cooking outside. I hoped elf food wasn't spicy like the trolls' or fishy like the merrow's.

Before the evening meal was ready, Laurel came into the room. "I've prepared a bath for you," she said. "Pick out something to wear, and I'll lead you to the washing room."

I opened the wardrobe and selected a dress. Laurel led me to the last room of the house. A filled bathtub was inside.

"Soap's in the cupboard," she said. "Enjoy."

The bath was heavenly. Washing the grime out from my finger nails and the dirt from my hair was a miracle.

After towel drying, I slipped into the dress I'd chosen. It was a light, billowy yellow thing that made me feel feminine. I found a hairbrush and managed to do my hair.

Dinner was some sort of roasted fowl in a sweet gravy. Elves ate small portions, as was their culture, and I managed to do the same, even though I wanted to devour the whole bird in a few bites.

We made polite small talk over the food. Ferrowin explained the elf government system to me. The eldest of the elves, unless they were incapable, created the rules for the elves. Ten elves were in the council, each one with an assistant, selected by himself or herself, who participated in the making of laws.

Once my stomach wasn't empty, I curled up in a woolen blanket and fell asleep on the mat. It was nice, sleeping in a real house and sleeping in an almost-bed. If I closed my eyes tightly and pretended to hear my sisters gossip, it almost felt like I was in Fallbrooke again.

When I fell asleep, I had a dream. I usually did dream, but not like this. This dream was vivid and exact, as if it were real. When I awoke, I remembered every detail.

"You are chosen," said an unfamiliar voice. It was soft and comforting.

"Why?" I asked.

"Because I can trust you to make the correct choices."

"What are the right choices?"

"You will know . . . " It faded away, and a new scene appeared before me.

There was a gathering of people, all looking into a cradle. A tiny baby with long fingers and toes looked out with wide eyes.

"The fifth daughter?" I heard someone mutter. "The Fendways have enough children already."

It was me, I realized. Baby me.

I saw a few faces a recognized. My parents. A few people of nobility. A duke and duchess.

Then, flickering images appeared. The merrow king's wild, sea green eyes. A pale girl with big blue eyes. Ferrowin's distinct, freckled nose. A dark brown troll. A kindly, maternal face. A pair of flashing gray eyes, full of fury. They flashed among others, and, even in a dream, I felt overwhelmed.

I soon found myself in a barren, desolate land. An image of a shadowy silhouette appeared. "You will never win, Evelin Fendway," it said.

Unmistakable fear shot through me, and whispers came. I couldn't determine what they were saying, but I was afraid . . .

I awoke in cold sweat. People say that the mind works out problems while you are sleeping. Mine did that night. I knew who the elves' Enchanter was.

Ferrowin. His secrets, Merron's reluctance when I was around him, his conversation with his mother.

Ferrowin. I laughed out loud. Fate was a funny thing.

Me, the wild Fendway girl, was trying to save some creatures, along with the brainy elf. The most unqualified people were chosen. But I was glad it was Ferrowin. He knew everything there was to know. He'd help me. He'd be able to find the other Enchanters.