Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve
________________

When I awoke, I was on land. The sun was shining brightly into my eyes. I turned on my side and shielded my eyes.

"Hello, Evelin Fendway," I heard the Assana say. I tried to sit up, but my head swam. I laid back down.

"Good morning," I mumbled. Suddenly, I remembered what had happened. I had almost drowned.

"Why am I not dead?" I asked with confusion.

"You sound awfully grateful," the king said cynically.

"No, honestly, what happened?"

"Nimue noticed you had ran out of air. He swam down from the stage and carried you up to the surface before anyone knew what had happened. You owe him your life."

He'd saved me? I smiled. "Where is he? I should thank him," I said. I couldn't believe it. I had almost died. I would be dead. He saved me.

"He's probably with his sister. She loves him, you know."

"Oh? Should I go see him?"

"No, I don't think you should go underwater anymore. That was too risky. I'll send him up." She dove into the lake, leaving me alone.

I tried to sit up, and succeeded this time. I looked around for my satchel. It was hanging from a tree branch. I stood up wobbly and reached for it. I was too short.

I walked over to the tree and began to climb it. But my arms felt so weak and sore. I held on to the branch and did not move. I couldn't get down or up any more. I just hung there.

I heard Nimue emerge from the water. His feet slapped against the sand as he walked over to me.

"What are you doing?" he asked, almost angrily. "You almost died yesterday, and now you are going around, climbing trees? Do you even care about your life?"

"Of course I do," I snapped. "I'm just trying to get my satchel."

He folded his arms. "Then get it."

It was a challenge. That meant I needed to get it. Mustering all the strength I could, I edged up the branch. My arms were shaking, but I kept going. At last, I reached for my satchel, and clamped it with a shaking hand.

"Ha!" I said. "I did it!"

Suddenly, I fell from the branch. Nimue caught me and sat me down. He shot me an angry look."You could have gotten hurt," he said, "again."

"I would've been fine," I said, dusting off my dress.

"Not without my assistance."

He had a point. "Fine, I'll be more careful," I said. "But why do you care? You hardly know me."

He hesitated. "Without you, we will all be stuck here forever."

"Well, thanks," I said gruffly. "You know, for saving my life."

"You're welcome," he said.

It felt wrong to end the conversation like that. I wasn't good at socializing, but I knew some things. "You were really good in that opera," I said, more sincerely.

His eyes lit up a little. "Thanks!"

"Yes, it was so good that I forgot about my Aquweed and almost drowned. So it was your fault I almost died, not mine. So don't get mad at me," I said. It felt nice to put the blame on someone else.

The hurt in his eyes was unmistakeable. I truly was terrible at socializing.

"Sorry," I muttered.