Chapter Six

Chapter Six

___________

"Oh, I'm so glad you are here," Ava gushed, giving me a hug. "I'm sorry I couldn't make you a bridesmaid. We wouldn't have had the time to practice with you and order the dress in a day. And with all the preparations I've had to make. . . I'm sorry." She looked positively tired.

"That's completely fine. I'll be sitting in the first row, with a perfect view and no responsibilities."

She sat down and put a hand to her forehead. "Everything's happening so quickly. But Merek wanted to get married so fast. So did I, but . . . I don't know . . . It's so hard."

I rubbed her hand comfortingly. "It's normal. Marriages are stressful."

"How would you know?" she snapped. "You've never been married. And you're so improper and wild, you probably never will!"

I took a step back. "Ava . . . ? How could you?"

She continued as if I'd said nothing. "I feel like I've been rushed into all this. What if I don't really love Merek? What if I'm just doing this for Father?"

"Well," I said angrily, "I wouldn't know how to help, huh? Because I've never had a suitor, and I'm not going to get married." I opened the door to leave. "Next time, I won't try to help you. I know you're under stress, but that doesn't mean you have to take out your anger on me!" I slammed the door and ran to the gardens of my father's estate. Tears stung my eyes.

I climbed the tallest tree, as high as I could. There was no Forbidden Lands to comfort me; Merth was too far from the sea. I hated feeling so worthless, so alone. But Ava was right. No one would ever love me. I wasn't going to be married. I was the wild Fendway daughter, and I didn't belong anywhere.

I'd seen Ava's fiancé at a few social events. I hadn't realized they had grown so close, however. He was one of the royal family advisors. That probably meant Ava would live within the court! I hoped I could visit her often.

As I walked toward the manor house to get ready, I heard two male voices, from the study's window. That window never had been able to shut all the way. Perhaps the two men inside did not know that. I crept a bit closer.

" . . .  Tennel, you know why," a man was saying, Tennel was the last name of Ava's fiancé, I knew. It was odd. I didn't recognize the other man's voice. I stopped and listened.

"Shall I change my entire life for him?" Merek Tennel replied. Him? I wondered.

"You know the consequences if you do not," the other man said, with a little bit of fear.

"Have you seen something in the north?" he asked.

"Yes, and the tales are true. It puts fear into the hearts of men. Their worst fear. It makes them go mad." He was talking about the issue Girec had told me about, I realized. The dark magic. Was Merek and this other man in cahoots with dark magic?

"I was afraid of that," Merek sighed. "Now, I must be off. It is time for me to be married."

The reluctant way he said it was enough for me.  I stormed into Ava's bedroom.

"Evelin!" she exclaimed. "You are not even dressed!"

"Your fiancé is hiding something," I said bluntly.

She narrowed her eyes at me. "I know you might still be bitter about yesterday, but you will not ruin my wedding."

"Ava, listen to me," I said. "I overheard Merek speaking with another man. I believe Merek is participating in dark arts."