Chapter Twenty- Six: Saying Goodbye

"Have you got everything?" Isabelle asked as she watched her husband packing his last few things for the preseason. Their honeymoon had been amazing and she was upset that Joe was leaving but he had a job.

"Boots, gloves, underwear, socks," Isabelle mused making her husband nod as he turned to face her and gently brought her into his arms. Their new house was almost ready and he couldn't wait to show her when he gets back.

"I have them all," Joe smiled as he hugged her close not wanting to leave her. It's been three weeks since their wedding and now Joe had to go away for four weeks leaving Isabelle relatively alone.

"The only thing I'm missing is you," Joe said making her laugh as she kissed him softly and stayed cuddled into his arms. She had no idea if she was pregnant right now and she hoped she was.

"The day I get back, I want the tests ready. I want to know straight away," Joe said making Isabelle nod and smile. She couldn't wait to find out if they were expecting.

***

"The days will fly and I'll see you again soon," Joe promised as his wife slowly started to break down. The two had never been apart this long and Isabelle already felt lonely.

"It'll be alright love," Joe promised as he kissed her softly and held her tightly against his body; he didn't want to let go either.

"Come on sweetheart," Mary said softly as she took her daughters hand and led her into the sitting room while Charles and Jeff went away with Joe.

"He'll be back before you know it," Louise said softly as she sat down beside the brunette. The two women hated seeing her upset and they knew Joe wouldn't be long.

"I miss him already," Isabelle cried as she hugged her mother. She didn't know what was wrong with her but she couldn't stop crying for him.

***

Joe sighed as he sat in his hotel room. It had been a long flight to Australia and he knew his wife would be asleep right now.

Joe had received a message the minute he opened his phone after the flight. It was from his mother letting him know Isabelle had calmed down a little while after he left.

Joe had never felt worse about leaving for preseason and he hated that it would be four weeks before he saw his wife again.

"Tharty! Come on we're going out for dinner," Les Chapman said making the goalkeeper chuckle as he got up and grabbed his wallet, room keys and phone before leaving the room.

"Anything from Mrs. Tharty?" Les teased making the goalkeeper shake his head as he walked down the hallway behind his teammates.

"She's asleep Les... It's four am at home," Joe mused making the presenter laugh at himself completely forgetting where he was.

Joe sighed as he continued to walk towards the stairs. He hoped the next four weeks would go fast, phone calls, texts and skypes wouldn't be enough for him.

***

Isabelle sighed as she looked at the clock, it was four am and she still couldn't sleep. She hadn't been feeling well and it hasn't gone away.

Isabelle reached over for her phone wondering if Joe would be asleep in Australia; she doubted Manuel would let them sleep and ruin the routine he had.

Isabelle quickly looked through her contacts and hesitantly pressed on Joe's name before it started ringing.

"Belle... I thought you'd be asleep, is everything okay?" Joe asked making his wife smile; she was so happy he had picked up.

"I can't sleep and talking to you felt like the best thing," Isabelle said as she moved to get comfortable while holding Joe's pillow.

Isabelle smiled listening to Joe's deep voice. It's the most comforting thing she's heard since Melanie died and it's always the only thing that can calm her down.