Chapter 2

" You guys must be Esmae and Alysa! Hi I'm Chloe Green and I'll be your new mother!" She exclaimed excitedly. Esmae glanced up and smiled shyly. Alysa sniffed dismissively at the young woman. Slightly disheartened, but trying to keep her straightened smile, Chloe told herself that the blonde girl was just nervous. "Ok, so, who wants to come home?" She continued, gesturing to her car. Again Esmae smiled, while Alysa just shrugged. As the twins climbed in the back and Chloe jumped in the drivers seat, she took a few deep, reassuring breaths, trying to relax.

Chloe had always wanted children, for as long as she could remember she'd always dreamed of being a mother. Unfortunately, she was incapable of finding 'Mr, Right'. All of her past boyfriends hadn't really... Worked out. It wasn't that the guys she dated were bad, some of them had been really nice, but they just weren't meant for her. Chloe was a great believer in fate, and when the right man showed up, she'd know.

And with that thought in mind, Chloe put the key in ignition and turned it determinedly. The drive was short, --often-- in the city. Before long, they had pulled up in a quiet suburb outside a tiny, but neat, white house. A small stretch of evenly mowed grass met a little wooden fence that surrounded the yard. Square paving stones led from the gate to the house. Chloe turned around and beamed at the twins.

"Welcome to your new home," said Chloe.

Esmae's jaw dropped as she stared at the house in wonder and amazement. "Wow!" She breathed only loud enough for herself to hear. Alysa rolled her eyes defiantly, choosing not to believe in anything that was to good to be true.

"For how long?" She asked, testing Chloe's persistence.

Chloe frowned, not understanding why Alysa was asking that.

"For as long as you want," Chloe replied. "I hope you like it here," she added genuinely. Again, Alysa sniffed in disbelief. "Come on! I'll get your bags while you two explore the house," Chloe chirped, ignoring Alysa's lack of faith.

☀️🌑

Merida walked down the busy street briskly. In actuality, she didn't really need to go anywhere, just lunch. And honestly, she didn't need to eat either. She just liked the taste of food, even though it provided her with no sustenance, not at the moment anyway. She walked into her favourite restaurant and stopped suddenly.

Amongst the scents of delicious foods was a particular odur that shouldn't be there. One she hadn't smelt for a long time. And even when she'd come across the occasional rotten egg at home, the distinct scent of sulphur had always overwhelmed her with pain and misery. And anger. Lots of it.

Merida knew the humans in the restaurant couldn't smell it. Their sense of smell was so weak that they only registered the strongest of pongs. Acting on impulse, Merida followed the scent until it was so strong it made her eyes water. And then she heard him.

"You know I'm a busy man, Morrigan, so why did you call me here?" Dr John Dee asked. Merida quickly hid behind a decorative pillar close by. Her heart thumped in her chest, as she prayed they couldn't bear it. Unlike other humans, Dee's hearing was very accurate, as was the Morrigan's. She sat across from Dee at a civil at table, her black eyes gleaming wickedly.

"Well I hope you're not to busy to attempt this mission," the Morrigan replied flatly.

"That's not what I meant," Said Dee lightly.

"Doubtful. When you hear what you have to do... Well, it's both easy and difficult," The Crow Goddess concluded after a moments thought. Dee frowned, breaking his calm façade.

"How so?" He asked, curiosity sparked within him. How would something be easy and difficult?

"The goal is easy to achieve, or at least, it seems easy. But my aunt insists it isn't. She says that it may prove to be more difficult than once thought-"

"Ah, but Bastet know best?" Dee mused manipulatively. The Morrigan scowled.

"No. She most certainly does not. Just because she's an Elder, doesn't mean she knows everything," she claimed.

"Oh? Then what is my mission?" Dee asked. The Crow Goddess glared at him. She didn't like or trust his disbelieving tone.

"Your mission is to go to Australia and find a pair of twins-"

"Twins? Human twins? What do you want with them?" Dee interrupted. The Morrigan growled at him impatiently.

"Half- human. And immortals too, not that they know it," the Morrigan explained with notable disinterest. Both Dee and Merida knew she was faking it, and that worried both of them even more. At the mention of the word 'twins', something unpleasant had twisted in Merida's stomach, but she ignored it.

"Half human hmmm? What's the other half?" Asked Dee with more caution than usual.

"Vampire, or rather mostly vampire, but with a little bit of human in it to. I guess we have no one but the mother to blame for that," the Morrigan muttered looking repulsed. Dee raised his eyebrows.

"Was the mother a halfling to?" He asked, trying, like The Crow Goddess, to hide his interest.

"No, not exactly. She was a lot more vampire than she was human. But there was this small part of her that was human, and that set the filthy monster apart!" the Morrigan added, banging her fist on the table. Dee nodded, but he still didn't understand one thing.

"As rare as halflings are, why are these two so important?"

The Morrigan smiled. It wasn't a friendly one either.

"There are two reasons. The first is that they are humans with the power of a thousand elders. Their auras are silver and gold. Sun and moon. Combined, their power could completely destroy or recreate this world and any shadow realms of their choosing," The Crow Goddess explained before pausing. "And the second reason is because their mother, the vampire, would do anything to keep them safe," the Morrigan continued cryptically.

"Who is she?" Dee, unable to keep the fear out of his voice. The Morrigan grinned devilishly.

"Merida of Dunbroch."