Chapter 16: Worlds Collide

~Lacey~

I would like to say I came around slowly, or woke up quietly to find myself tucked into the car with my dad. That's what I would like to say, but I can't.

Instead, still gripped tight by panic and fear, I woke screaming and fighting against a phantom. Strong arms grabbed me and drew me into a hard chest as I continued to fight until I heard the words being whispered in my ear.

"It's okay, Sweetheart, Daddy's got you." The refrain repeated over and over as a hand gently rubbed my back until I felt the panic and fear begin to recede. I stopped fighting, opened my eyes.

"Da...Daddy?" I sobbed it out, fear still choking me a bit. He was really here, though. In his car, pulled over to the side of the road, holding me tight. I had never needed my Dad more than I did right now. All those times I was ignored, or forgotten, paled a bit. Right here, right now, I needed him and he was here and that was all that mattered in this moment. Daddy ran a hand over my hair as I buried my face in his chest and sobbed. How had such a beautiful, wonderful night gone so very wrong? After a moment I tried to collect myself and sat back so we could head home. Tears still ran down my cheeks. I couldn't seem to find calm, so much had happened.

"How did you know where I was?" He'd found me so fast. Dad gave a small chuff and glanced at me.

"Bit of a silly question, Sweetheart." Oh, right. Dad had installed trackers in our phones for just such an emergency. I'd forgotten about it. I was glad he had. But how did he know I was in trouble? I opened my mouth to ask but Dad answered before I could.

"Blaze called me," I noticed Dad get tense at the mention of Blaze, "Baby, please tell me that boy didn't do this to you." Dad waved a hand at my ruined dress. My mouth dropped open. What?

"No! Dad, Blaze would never! We fought that's all!" I swiped at the tears on my face, thinking about my fight with Blaze.

"Maybe you should tell me what happened, Baby," I didn't really want to relive it but I knew if I didn't he'd probably think the worst of Blaze. As I told him, my tears came harder and faster until I was sobbing at the end. It was an ugly sob too, tears and hiccups and snot.

"Oh god, Dad, I'm so stupid!" I choked out between sobs. Dad gathered me into his lap, I hadn't noticed the car stop in front of our house. It was awkward but I took comfort in it.

"Baby, it sounds like a misunderstanding. I think you should talk to him but why don't you wait til tomorrow, hmm? Let's head inside." I choked back a couple of sobs and nodded. Dad gathered me into his side as we went in but it couldn't hide my torn dress or tear streaked face or the bruises already forming on my cheeks from where the guy had gripped me.

The entire family was in the foyer and it exploded the second they saw me. I couldn't make out any words for everyone screaming over each other, Micah, Isaiah and Wesley sounding above the others. They were staring and yelling and fear crawled up my spine. I whimpered and buried my face against Dad's shoulder. I started shaking terribly.

"Just Stop!" Dad yelled over the others as he picked me up and pushed past Uncle Raven and Uncle Marc on the stairs.

He carried me to the elaborate window seat, facing the driveway, in my room. We sat there, me in Dad's lap like a small girl again, as he helped me calm down. My sobs had reduced to quiet tears when Galen burst into the room.

"Micah, Isaiah and Wesley are attacking Blaze!" Galen was panting from apparently running up the stairs. Blaze? Blaze was here? Why was he here? I crawled off Dad, who had cursed at Galen's words, and started to head across the room when I felt Dad's hand on my shoulder.