Chapter 7: Just Apologize

~Lacey~

I knew there were tears running down my face as Blaze sped off but I couldn't seem to stop them. I watched until I couldn't see the bike anymore, hoping maybe he would turn around and come back, tell me everything was okay but he never did. I was hurt and confused by the abrupt turn in his behavior. What had I done? How had I messed things up already?  My shoulders slumped and I sighed heavily as I picked up my backpack and turned to the house. As I headed up the drive, I wrapped my arms around myself, my arm brushing the cold metal of a zipper, making me realize I still wore Blaze's leather jacket. It was probably silly but I rubbed my cheek against the leather, inhaling Blaze's spicy, musky scent. There was something comforting about being wrapped up in his jacket that helped dry my tears. 

Not wanting to attract attention, not that it was likely, I went around the side of the large, two story, red brick house to the kitchen door. I wiped my face, just in case, and slipped in the door. No one was in the kitchen.  Looking around at the spotless kitchen, I saw the time on the stove. Dinner had come and gone and it looked like no one had even noticed I wasn't there. They certainly hadn't left a plate in the warmer for me. I looked. No leftovers in the fridge. Gee, thanks family. It didn't matter. I wasn't hungry. There was no way I could eat right now anyway. I peeked in the tv room on my way upstairs. Mom was cuddled up with Uncle Axel and Uncle Raven. Dad was cuddled up with Uncle Marc. Sasha was asleep in Uncle Brandon's lap. Wesley was sprawled on the floor with a book. Galen was leaning against the couch with Dad and Marc. Sometimes I wondered about Galen. Lately he seemed to spend a lot more time around Dad and Marc but only if they were only alone or together, he tended to avoid them if they were with mom. Yep. Sure seemed like they were missing me. I headed up the stairs, spotting Micah and Isaiah in the back tossing a football around when I looked through the large window at the top of the stairs. As I passed by Katerina's room I heard giggling, which meant she was on the phone, most likely with a boy.

I tossed my bag next to my desk and laid down on my metallic silver comforter, my mind still on Blaze's weird turn around. It didn't make any sense once I thought about it with a calmer mind. He had been so sweet just seconds before. That was the confusing part. He had been so concerned, so worried about what had nearly happened. It had been terribly sweet and a tiny part of me was willing to admit it had been a bit romantic how scared he'd been, almost like a boyfriend afraid he had nearly lost the girl he loved. Maybe it was weird to think that about a guy like him but I didn't care. It wasn't like anyone would know I thought it. I mean a guy like him, with his reputation had been.....Wait. I sat up in bed as the truth barreled into my mind.

 Oh. My. God. 

That was it. He was embarrassed by his behavior! He was actually worried about what I thought of him! Me!  I smiled, feeling better about things now that I had figured it out. I hadn't done anything wrong, or at least I didn't think I had. He was embarrassed about how his fear had made him react. Warmth and happiness burst in me and I wrapped Blaze's jacket around me tight, giddy with relief as I lay back down. Maybe my family hadn't noticed I was gone. Maybe I was still invisible to them. But maybe, for the first time, someone was noticing me.

~Blaze~

I slipped behind the workout shed, leaning against it to hide in the shadows of the trees.Yes, I admit, I was sulking. I had been a total idiot in front of Lacey at the North Shore and then a complete ass afterwards. I would be lucky if she ever talked to me again outside chemistry. Way to blow it, Jerkoff! I kicked the shed, a loud thud echoing through the yard, before reaching into my pocket for my smokes. If I didn't calm the fuck down I was likely to pick a fight with Scott. The rustle of leaves had me shoving the pack back in my pocket quickly. Mal came around the corner of the shed, a knowing smirk on her face.