Daughter of the Demon-20-Runaway

Chapter 20: Runaway

~Jacob~

The next day Clara called my house. I was still pissed at her so I didn’t answer.

She must have called five more times.

I didn’t answer.

Belinda told me I should answer the calls because they could be important. I told her Jemma was important, too, and Clara obviously didn’t seem to care about her so why would she waste her time and call me for something important? Belinda continued to say her gut told her I should answer it, and I continued to tell her I would not. Eventually she gave up, and I still didn’t answer.

Crap, Jemma.

Guess who wasn’t in school that day? Yep. Jemma. I felt stupid and like a trader just leaving her on her bedroom floor all cut and bruised. Why did I leave? I mean, sure, my hormones were jumping so I had to get out of there before I did anything I’d regret, but I kissed her, didn’t I? It was too late for that. I shouldn’t have left her. What was wrong with me?

I couldn’t focus on school. My mind wandered to the phone calls and I grew anxious as the day wore on. Had Jemma hurt herself again? Had she injured herself this time to a point of no repair? Why couldn’t she just be normal? Why did she always put me through this anxiety?

More importantly, why did I let myself take it?

I thought I would find comfort and refuge in Abby, so we went to Jake’s Shakes after school. She offered me her lips to kiss and her hands to hold, but they did nothing for me. The feelings were hollow, and I had this empty sensation inside of me, as if I’d lost someone and I didn’t know it. I shivered, clutching my arms.

“What’s wrong Jakey?” Abby asked me softly. I shrugged.

“Nothing,” I replied. She leaned over me again and pressed her mouth against mine. I kissed her back, but only because it sort of occupied my mind from my worries. The only thing was, compared to kissing Jemma, nothing seemed breath-taking anymore. Not even Abby’s kiss.

That was one of the reasons I let Abby continue to kiss me.

I had to forget about Jemma.

Somehow all my problems invovled her.

*****

Belinda begged me again to answer the calls when I got home. I asked her why. She told me it was because she had called five more times.

I growled and told her if what Clara had to tell us was that important, she would walk over here herself and tell us in person.

Belinda urged me to call her back.

I didn’t.

*****

I knew something major was up and when Jemma didn’t come to school for three days.

I thought my teachers were worried because I said nothing in class and didn’t joke around with Trevor the entire time.

I knew Trevor was worried because I didn’t carry on his jokes.

Abby was worried for me. She wanted me to be happy, but, I wasn't. I couldn't be. She wanted an asnewr, and I couldn't offer one, because I didn't know what to say.

I felt Mr. Matthews watching me from a distance. I never saw him, but I knew he was there. I couldn’t explain it. I just knew.

But he never approached me.