The One With The Surprise Party (Book One)

[ Sorry for the mistakes, I'm not perfect (: ]

(Somewhere Towards the End of Book One But Mentioned in Book Two Part 10)

(Harry's POV)

“Surprise!” Whytnie’s family and I shout as she walks in. She starts screaming and the bags in her left hand fall to the floor, and whatever drink she had went flying everywhere. Her family all started laughing, especially her cousin who was videotaping it all. There was an evil smirk on her face as she captured Whytnie “spazzing” out, that’s what her cousin called it.

            “What the…?” she cautiously asked, glaring around the room. “Why did you do that?”

            “Because it’s your birthday, silly,” I stated matter-of-factly. She rolled her eyes and looked down at the mess her drink had made on her clothes, and the fallen bags with stuff spread out all over the floor. She sighed and bent to pick up her stuff, but I rushed over to her to help her.

            “Happy birthday, sweetie!”

            “Happy birthday, cuz!”

            “It was all Harry’s idea!” Whytnie froze, hand reached out to grab the remaining item. She immediately looked up at me and glared.

            “This was all your idea?” I nodded, picking up the remaining item because she’d forgotten all about it. “Why? I almost peed myself!”

            Trying hard not to laugh, I met her eyes and smiled. “Sorry, but I couldn’t resist!”

            “What!” She rolled her eyes and yanked the last remaining item out of my hands before standing upright and putting it back into one of her bags. Ignoring me, she walked past me to greet her family. While she stood there, joking around with both her parents, who had a hard time coming to terms that they were both going to be in the same room again but convinced themselves that it was for Whytnie. Well, it took a lot of convincing on my part. In the end, they both started acting like adults and agreed to “play nice” for Whytnie’s sake.

            And it was worth it to see the look on her face as she watched both sides of her family come together as one. She’s talked about how much she hated that about her family. She feels like she’s being split apart in different directions without a clue which one is actually her whenever she’s with them.

            After she made her way around the room, still entirely ignoring me, I suggested that it was cake time. Rolling her eyes, her family all piled into the living room behind her. Finding my way easily through the house, I went for the cake and started lighting the candles. Smiling to myself, I just couldn’t wait to see her face when she saw the cake. She had this weird obsession with the Eiffel Tower and so I had to go to seven different bakeries until I found one that would attempt to make an Eiffel Tower cake. Well, this one was pink and very nicely done for a first try.

            And now was the time to see her face.

            Her mouth dropped to the floor and her eyes went wide as I walked into the room, everybody singing an off-key version of Happy Birthday. Her whole face lit up as I set the cake down in front of her as the song ended. She looked at me, smiling and hugged me tighter than I was ready for.

            “I love you,” she said before blowing out her candles. “Even if I’m still mad that you did this behind my back.” I winked at her before everybody started wanting pieces of the cake. Her grandmother started cutting it up, after all the pictures were taken, of course. As her family got their plates and started finding places to sit, she pulled me out into a different room and shut the door.

            I didn’t even have any time to think about what I was going to say before her mouth was on mine and everything was right in the world. There was no where I’d rather be, than here right now. I wrapped my arms around her, pulling her closer. She sighed before backing an inch away to get her breathing under control.

            “You’re the best, you know that right?”

            “You still mad?”

            Smiling, she replied, “No. This has got to be the best birthday party ever.”

            “And the cake?”

            “I loved the cake! Do you know how amazing you are?” Smirking, I pulled her back that extra inch and kissed her trying to show her how much she meant to mean. We broke apart as someone came in and cleared their throat.

            “It’s present time!” said her seven year old cousin, Taylor. “I wanna show you what I got you! You’re gonna love it, Whytnie!” She grabbed Whytnie’s arm and started pulling her back to the living room, but Whytnie reached out and grabbed my hand before being led back to the living room where all her family was waiting for her.

            “You guys didn’t have to get me anything,” Whytnie said as she sat down on the couch, in front of her on the coffee table where all her presents were perfectly lined up. One by one, Whytnie opened them. There were so many different Eiffel Tower objects like statues, posters, or other little odds and ends; a few homemade drawings and cards; a few gift cards to book stores and Amazon; a few weird things from her mother, who didn’t know her as well as she should because Whytnie would never wear that kind of stuff; and a beautiful poem written by her favorite, even though she’d never say that to any of her other relatives, cousin Elizabeth. After all the presents were unwrapped, Whytnie loving each and every one of them, all the wrapping paper put into a large black garbage bag, I finally gave her my present.

            “Ooh,” a few of her relatives were teasing.

            “I thought the party was my present?”

            “It’s not.” I gave her the large perfectly wrapped, thanks to her grandmother’s help, present and smiled. “Happy birthday, Whytnie.”

            “What is it?” She still looked unconvinced and didn’t move to touch the present. Rolling my eyes, I pushed it closer to her.

            “Just open it.”

            She glanced around, and then started, very slowly, unwrapping the present. Her eyes got large as she finally saw what was wrapped under there. She smiled as she pulled the rest of the wrapping paper off. It was a collage of all the pictures we took together.

            “I…” She couldn’t get the rest of the words out because she started crying. I pushed the large work of art, who I couldn’t have done it without Elizabeth’s help, against the wall and wrapped my arms around Whytnie as she sobbed against me. When she could finally speak, she whispered, “I love it. I love everything about today. I might not admit I love parties, but this has probably been the best one. And you got both of my parents in one room! They’ve never done that, well, aside from my graduation day.”

            “So how much do you love me?”

            Rolling her eyes, she couldn’t hide her smile. And in that moment, everything was perfect. I didn’t worry about tomorrow. I didn’t worry about when I had to leave. I didn’t worry about leaving her behind. I didn’t worry that we only had two more days together. I didn’t worry that her father was on the other side of the room glaring at me. I didn’t worry about how wet my shirt was thanks to her crying. I didn’t worry about the weather. I didn’t worry about anything.

            There was only her. And there was me. We were together. And we were happy. That was all that mattered. And I was happy.