Chapter Nine-The Merrow

Start from the beginning

I dove down deeper and deeper, and I enjoyed passing multicolored fish. But there was no sign of any human-like creatures. I started to doubt Coten. But once my feet touched the bottom, a civilization of merrow appeared before me. Not wanting them to see me (and possibly want to kill me), I hid behind a coral rock and watched them. It was miraculous that they hadn't seen me already.

I noticed the crowded, gray stone buildings. merrow crowded the water. A palace loomed behind a forest of flowing seaweed, made from coral, with towers that had a slight aura of light. The sun shined through the waters, so a glimmering, blue-gold light blanketed everything. Looking up, I could see the clouds and the sky through the water. It would have been an even more spectacular sight, if it wasn't so overcrowded. Some merrow swam above others, because there were so many. There did not seem to be enough room in the lake for all of them.

The merrow themselves had skin slightly tinted with pale gray or blue, tougher than a human's, like a dolphin. Their hair was gauzy and scaly, constantly moving and flowing like a fish's fins, in gold and silver. Each merr had blue irises, ranging from black-blue to turquoise. The younger ones had tail, but the older ones had two legs. They wore clothing made from the materials under the sea--seaweed, coral, and animal skin. I saw one wearing a necklace made from bubbles.

I peeked my head out further. A male merr turned and made eye contact with me. I ducked my head back behind the rock. But it was too late. He walked, or rather, swam, over to my rock. I closed my eyes, hoping he wouldn't find me.

"I can see you," he said. His voice was as smooth as the sea, with no gurgles or bubbles, as I had imagined.

I opened my eyes guiltily and waved hello. I could not speak in the water.

"You're not supposed to be here," he whispered, pulling me farther behind the rock. I examined his hand. Five fingers, tough like a shark's dorsal fin. Tinted gray, like the rest of him. The fingers were longer and more pointed than a human hand. No finger nails, but not webbed, as I expected.

I looked up at him, wishing I had some parchment. But it would get all wet, anyway. His hair was a shimmery dark gold. His eyes were the color of indigo. His anatomy looked the same as a human's. A male had broader shoulders and a more chiseled jawline than a female. They also had shorter hair. Or was it hair? I also admired the way he moved so effortlessly in the water; my movements were clumsy and awkward.

He looked at me with confusion. "What are you doing?" he asked.

I blinked, realizing it was rude to stare. He was more of a human than creature. I wondered if all merrow spoke the common tongue.

"Are you a mute?" he asked. "Or do humans not speak the common language?"

I tipped my hand side to side, indicating that I was sort of a mute. He raised an eyebrow. It looked like a streak of gold paint on his skin.

"How do you talk, then?"

I pointed up at the surface.

"You use gestures?" he asked.

I shook my head no, and pointed up again.

"The surface?"

Yes, I mouthed, nodding.

"Very well," he said. "Hold on to my back. I'll take you to the surface. Then I can figure out what to do with you."

He swam smoothly, and as fast as the fastest fish. The colors of the lake were a blur. He sat me down on the rocks near the surface once we reached the top.

"Speak," he said.

"My name is Evelin Fendway," I began. "I came here to study all five races, and take the information back to Krialle. Once there, I will find out more about the Enchantment that keeps you here. And I will set you free."