Chapter Twenty-Three

Sebastian:

                I sat on our new bed waiting for Elaina to get out of the shower. I hadn’t told her what I had planned for us tonight because I was slightly nervous. Actually, everything we did together I was nervous about. I had never had a real girlfriend before. Sure, I’d pretended to date people for jobs, but that’s it. It wasn’t real. I didn’t have anything to lose. But with Elaina it’s different. I find myself constantly questioning if she likes what I’m doing. Should I hold her hand? Does she like her hand being held? What if she doesn’t? Would she tell me?

                Before with Elaina I didn’t have to care what she wanted because she had no choice. I know she was already pretending to be my wife, but that was an act, yet again.

                When I first got this job I thought it would be simple. She was just a 17, almost 18, year old girl. She was a rich girl. I assumed she would be a heartless bitch. When I saw her lying in the snow with no coat on crying, I felt my face soften as I put the knife I was going to use in my pocket. She perplexed me. I had to know what the girl that had everything had to cry about. I mean obviously I knew her parents weren’t in her life, but I didn’t think that would bother a girl that had everything. The agency told me that she was a stupid bitch that slept around. She was smart, very smart. And she didn’t sleep with everyone, just me. That made me very happy.

                When I looked into her eyes I knew there was no way I could kill her, but I tried to convince myself that I could. I acted like I was still going to. When she invited me to stay I reasoned that I could just sneak into her room and kill her while she slept, that way I didn’t have to look into those beautiful blue eyes. I actually did sneak into her room after I thought she was asleep. If she was awake I was going to tell her I just needed a drink and wasn’t sure if she was awake. But she was sleeping. I climbed up the stairs in the middle of her room and glanced at her sleeping. She was beautiful, her blonde hair all over her face.

                I took out my knife to cut her throat, like I had planned. But her body became twisted in her blankets as she thrashed around. She was having a nightmare. Before she wasn’t moving, so I had convinced myself that it wouldn’t be any different when she was dead. She’d just be sleeping with blood all over her. I had killed many people before, but I had never looked at them as people. Elaina was different. She was beautiful, smart, and broken. I was sure that she would trade all of her riches for a family. That was more than I could say for most humans. I would easily trade this life for a family, with Elaina. Before it was just about exposing the American government for what it was, but now it’s about making sure Elaina lives happily ever after. I would get her out alive and give her everything I could.

                “Hey what should I wear tonight?” Elaina asked, coming out of the bathroom in only a towel. I could see a bit of her cleavage and upper thighs. Her blonde hair was messy—she had just towel-dried it. Her fair skin was pink for the hotness of the shower. Her lips were a natural pink that I loved. I bit my bottom lip as I looked at her.

                “Something formal, we’ll be inside most of the time so you don’t need a coat. You can wear mine from the car to the place,” I told her.

                “Okay,” she said as she turned to leave, only to turn back and walk over to me. She gave me a few butterfly kisses, and then moved to my neck. She whispered in my ear, “Where are we going tonight?” like she had done so many times before.

                “I told you—it’s a surprise,” I laughed when she pouted.

                “Fine,” she said and stomped off to get dressed.

Elaina:

                I sighed while I was looking through clothes. Why couldn’t he just tell me where we were going? I really wasn’t a huge fan of surprises. What if it was something bad? He could be getting sick of me. I mean we’ve been spending every second together, apart from when I went to see my father. Sebastian could be taking me somewhere to kill me. That thought should scare me, but it didn’t. I always said that when I found true happiness and got to experience it for a little while, I’d be ready to go. I did have true happiness.

                I was not alone anymore. Someone actually cared enough to pretend to love me. He has shown me more of the world than I could ever imagine. I knew that it had to end eventually because there was never a happily ever after. But that thought didn’t bother me. I was content with this time I had of happiness, as people rarely find true happiness.

                So when I picked out a short strapless dress. The top part was like a short corset that ended at the black belt in the middle, and then flowed outward. It had two layers; the top layer had pink and yellow flowers. The bottom layer was black netting. I also slipped on a pair of black high heeled ankle boots. I pulled my hair back slightly and realized my ears looked bare, so I looked through bags to find heart-shaped crystal earrings with little black bows at the top. I also grabbed my black purse with a giant bow on the side.

                After I got dressed and put on my makeup I looked in the mirror. I looked nice, but not perfect. I was hoping to look perfect for Sebastian.

                “Are you almost done?” he called through the door. I held my breath as I opened it. When I saw him I gasped.

                His hair was combed nicely (thought the messy look was sexy as well). He wore a white button up shirt and black dress pants along with dress shoes. His face was very smooth and almost glowing. His overcoat was draped over his arm. When I looked at his face again he had a huge smile on, not a smirk. I smiled at him too.

                “You look gorgeous,” he said in a soft tone.

                “Thanks, so do you,” I told him, blushing slightly.

                “Are you ready to leave now?” he asked, holding open his coat so I could slip into it. I didn’t answer with words, but took his hand and began walking out of the door.