Chapter 28

28.

1 month later.

I suppose somewhere around the world they say your first month is better than your first day, and in my case that saying is true.

Now, it isn't that my first day had been horrible, but it had not given me any slack either. Once everyone found out I was only an intern, they took full advantage of that. I cannot describe to you how many times I had gone to the break room and back, one time counting as my own break, and the other times for someone's coffee.

Generous as he did not seem to be, Mr.Peters promised to not give me any real work on my first day. But of course today and the days before that were new days and I am obligated to work now.

"You're sure you'll get these done by Friday Isabel? Because if not I could always take them off of your hands."He says with his hands over the documents.

"Mister Peters, I'm making a promise to you right now that I will indeed finish this assignment by Friday. And besides, if you hand off my work to someone then you'd be paying me for doing absolutely nothing."

He sighs and stands upright, adjusting his tie,"Surprisingly enough Isabel, I think I'd be fine with that as well. But very well then, please proceed in your work."

He sends me a small smile and walks away to his office. Once I know he's gone for sure, I sigh and retrieve my vibrating phone from my pocket.

"Chresanto I am at work. I cannot be on the phone right now."I say sternly.

"I just wanted to know if you made it there, you didn't email like you promised."

"So you had to call me eight times?"I whine.

"Ten, but that's besides the point. The point is, now that I hear your voice I know that you have been taken care of."

"Okay.."I say impatiently, trying to push him off of the phone.

"Soooo,"He drags,"What are you doing?"

"Working, like you should be. Why aren't you there?"

"I'm actually headed there now. I could've stood in but I figured I'd get some fresh air."

"Well good for you but I must go now. I have a ton of work to do."

"Why is he giving you so much work? What is he, some type of–"

"I promise,"I cut him off,"to call when I am out for lunch. Goodbye now."

Without much else thought I hang up on him. My hands reach into my hair that I spent an hour curling and tangle themselves within. It's not that I'm upset with him, it's just that I'm a little agitated. I know this is only an internship but it pays damn well so I don't want to screw it up.

And so what? Maybe I am a little angry with him. All this month he's been clinging to me like a moth to a flame and his mood swings, God don't even get me started. He acts as if he's a bat out of hell. Well I guess it's because his security system some how keeps failing on him. He doesn't tell me much about it but I ease dropped once and Monte said someone was trying to get in. That worries me since I spend an awful amount of time there.

In this past month I've only gone back to Jennifer and I's apartment four times–and once was twice in a day. She said she didn't mind much, as long as I still called in every now and then.

"Knock, knock."Speaking of the angel, Jennifer appears at my office door."Is everything alright?"

"If by alright you mean completely coming apart then yes, everything is okay."I show a whop-sided smile."What are you doing here?"

"Well,"She further enters my office,"my plans were to ask what you wanted for lunch but now I see I need to step up my game."

"I'm sorry for being such a downer right now."I sigh and adjust the documents on my desk."I'm just stressed because I'm overthinking."

"You've been like this since you started here Bel, I'm starting to worry about you."She admits, sitting on the edge of my desk.

"I'm fine,"I rub at my eyes,"I'm probably just not getting enough sleep or something, it'll past soon hopefully."

"Have you talked to Chresanto about it?"

"No, I couldn't dare,"I roll my eyes,"he'd take it to the extreme and try to blame my boss for 'over-working' me."

"He just cares about you a lot,"She giggles.

"Yeah I know. His way of affection just gets a little over-bearing at times."

"Well, have you two, you know?"

"No,"I blush and avert my eyes elsewhere."No we have not."

"Bel,"She gasps loudly.

"Keep it down,"I shush her hastily.

"What the hell are you waiting for?"

"Um, I don't know, marriage maybe."

"Marriage? Really?"She folds her arms across her chest.

I huff,"Okay, maybe not marriage but something close to assuring me that we're deeply..feeling one another in that particular way."

I mean, we've basically engaged in almost everything else except going all the way. He doesn't seem to mind though. He actually never pressures me to do anything so that's how I know when the time is right, it will happen. May be some time soon or in the near future, but I know it will happen.

"Well as you know the company building is closed next week to model in the new unit upstairs,"She switches subjects.

"Yeah so?"

"Sooooo, I was thinking about asking you this Friday but now seems as good as ever."

"Well, get on with it."I chuckle.

"Right."She smiles,"So you know how my parents gave me the beach house in Cali for getting this job right?"

I nod, recalling the time she told me this information.

"Of course, I just kind of figured we could go out there next week. You know, sort of like a quick vacation."

"Uh,"I chuckle a bit."Jenny, you know I'd love to go but I don't think I have the money for it."

I mean in the month of working here I think I have a great amount, but not nearly enough to blow on a vacation to California.

"Oh please Isabel, you know money is never an issue for me."

"Well, yeah but I mean, that's because you're rich."

"Sure, maybe I am. But before I even had this money you were my friend so, now that I do have this money, what do you think that means?"She smirks.

I shake my head while grinning,"I think it means I need to start packing."