Chapter 8

8.

"Me?"I question, half taking him seriously, half not.

"Yes, you Isabel."He answers in a matter-factly tone. The way he looks at everything but me when he says it has me thinking otherwise.

We are both silent as we continue on. The only thing being heard is birds chirping and faint children in the distance. Wait, children? He guides me down the path a bit more until we come to a stop. A park, or playground of some sort.

"My mom,"He starts to speak looking around at all the small children playing,"she used to take me here often."

That I do remember about him. Once, and only once, did Jennifer show me an interview on him. I remember the brief discussion of his family. He has both a brother and sister, two parents. He's also adopted. Never wanted to discuss his birth parents. Said he never knew them.

"Did she?"I question watching the kids as well."You liked it here?"

"Not really,"He shakes his head,"she always tried to get me to interact with the other kids. I never did. I didn't want to."

And suddenly I can see it. A smaller Chresanto sitting alone near the swings. He isn't swinging. He isn't even on a swing. He's simply sitting on the play box edge. Isolated. Maybe even with a book that's twice his age. I mentally giggle at the thought.

"Why is that? If you don't mind me asking."

"Nothing too personal,"he sighs fixing his jacket as if it were a tux,"Just didn't care for outside activities."

"Oh."We move a little around the circular park."What about your teenage years?"

He immediately clears his throat uncomfortably. I scrunch my eyebrow at the action as I watch him momentarily look flustered. If the question is doing this much to him I regret ever asking. He scratches the back of his neck and again looks at everything except me.

Finally, after he composes himself, he turns the tables on me,"What about you Isabel? How were you as an adolescent?"

"I-was, um...well what you see is what you get,"I chuckle nervously, wiping the palm of my hand on my pants,"I wasn't into school activities much, and I spent most of my time in the library. I didn't have friends, until, well, Jennifer of course. Mom, dad, only child...Uh, that's about it. Regular kid I guess."I shrug not really knowing how to explain myself any other way.

He nods, allowing everything I have said to soak in. I then notice we are back on the road to the car.

"Have you figured out life after university yet?"He asks breaking the five minutes of quiet.

"Uh,"I sigh shaking my head,"I don't know still. I just figured I'd work as some secretary some place or an editor. I couldn't possibly afford a studio and I'm way too shy to interact with female and male artist."

"You don't seem so shy to me,"He smirks looking down at me.

But I know my redden face begs to differ,"Well Mr.August, that is because I am comfortable around you."

"Indeed you are Miss Lennox."He chuckles pressing his hand into my lower back, helping me out of the way of a tree branch.

And then we're silent again.

*

I wave goodbye to Chresanto as I near the apartment door but am greatly surprised when I see him exiting the car as well. He jogs up to me and stands there, eyeing me all around my face.

"Are you going to allow us in?"He asks and I jump at his voice.

"Oh, right. Sorry."I quickly apologize, grabbing my apartment keys out of my purse, putting it into the door slot.