Chapter 25

25.

I turn the knob to the door and walk in, quite surprised the door isn't locked. But what I am even more shocked by is seeing an asleep Chresanto. He wrestles around in his bed, murmuring for someone to get off of him. I scrunch my eyebrows together and slowly shut the door behind me. Carefully I walk towards him and listen in on his sleep talking.

"Don't do this to me,"He whimpers,"please, please."

"Chres.."I whisper, completely confused. Does he always have nightmares?

"I'm sorry! I'm sorry!"He shouts and starts kicking his feet into the air.

I frown and quickly make my way to him, having a difficult time climbing into his large bed. I crawl quickly over to him and wrestle him down to keep him still. He needs to wake up.

"Chres,"I talk over his pleas',"Chresanto please wake up."

"Don't go,"He stops kicking but he is still frowning deeply,"don't go, I'll be better. I'll do better. I swear, anything you want."

"Chresanto it's me, Isabel. Please wake up."I whine, not being able to take seeing him like this. His body, both chest and face, are drenched in sweat. His hands are shaking nonstop and he keeps thrashing around at random moments, screaming out in agony for whatever is taking place in his head to stop or to not go.

"Chres!"I yell over him and he jolts awake, nearly knocking me over. He takes in a huge breath as if he was drowning and starts frantically looking around.

"Wha-How-What are you-,"He tries to get out questions all at once.

"It's okay, it's okay."I crawl into his lap and caress his face."You're okay now,"

"What are you doing awake?"His chest falls and rises at a slower pace.

"I heard you,"I shake my head and he looks down."Were they nightmares?"

He takes a minute but then he nods his head as if he's embarrassed.

"It's okay to have nightmares Chresanto."I chuckle."They're just dreams."

I smile down at him but he looks up at me bashfully, tears glazing over his eyes. My smile turns down into a frown.

"Unless they weren't just dreams..."I bite my bottom lip,"Were they?"

"They-were..it's..it's nothing Isabel, I'm fine. You should get some sleep."He tries to remove me from him but I tighten my grip.

"Chresanto you're a sweaty mess,"I wipe at his face,"and you were just shouting in your sleep, I'm not leaving until you tell me what's wrong."

"Isabel it's nothing, I said I am fine."

"You are not and I don't appreciate you trying to throw me off to the side this way,"I frown,"Talk to me Chresanto, that's why I'm here."

"That's the thing..."

"What is? What's the thing?"

"I don't like discussing it,"He frowns and shakes his head,"I don't like talking it out, it takes me back. It brings me some place I don't like going."

"But it's okay,"I whisper,"I'm here. I'll bring you back from that dark place."

He turns away from me more, looking towards the glass window adjacent.

"But I cannot help you if you don't help me Chresanto. Help me understand."I pout. I want him to know I'm here for him, whether the situation may be good or bad.

"I.."He starts but doesn't finish. He seems to be having some mental battle with himself, probably trying to see whether or not he can trust me. But I want him to know that he can, he can trust me with anything.