two

I could see Linda give me an apologetic look out of the corner of my eye as I watched Luke go back up the stairs and into his room, slamming the door.

Wow.

I had the lowest of expectations and yet I was still disappointed.

"Nice atude huh brookie" Mae said.

"It's attitude sweetheart." Linda said placing a hand on my back and smiling weakly.

"I'm sorry Brooklyn, Luke is still getting used to living with us, I'm sorry to have to put you in such an awkward environment."

I shook my head. "No, no it's fine! Me and Mae are going to have a great time no matter what! I brought some movies over for us to watch, some Disney classics, I'm sure Luke won't be a problem."

And with that she smiled, placed a gentle kiss on Mae's forehead, said goodbye to the both of us and left.

~

Mae liked 101 Dalmatians so much that she refused to watch any of the other movies I brought. So every time it ended I would start it from the beginning so she could watch it.

Watching the movie occupied her so while she sat on the couch I used my time to make up a couple sandwiches for the both of us.

I opened the fridge and not a minute after, Luke appeared at my side.

"Well what made you come down so suddenly?" I chuckled.

"I heard the fridge open and I smelt food." He said with an unfriendly look on his face.

I looked away shaking my head and continued to make the sandwiches. If he was going to have that attitude I wasn't going to waste my time.

"What the hell?!"

Luke's voice rang throughout the house, causing me to jump.

"Don't use that type of language around Mae! And what could it possibly be now?" I asked coldly.

"What are you just planning on getting blood all over the floor?" He seethed pointing at my ankle where I had cut it previously.

It had gone unnoticed before but now I could feel it begin to itch.

"I didn't even know it was still bleeding. It happened like two hours ago I probably bumped it on something." I guessed.

Luke rolled his eyes and made his way over to the sink grabbing a paper towel and running it under some cold water. He plucked a bandaid out of the medicine cabinet and pushed them both in my face.

"Here. I will make the sandwiches." He said grabbing the bread from me during the exchange of the bandaid and paper towel.

I furrowed my eyebrows as I watched him grab the mayonnaise out of the fridge, studying his body language and trying not to laugh when he accidentally dropped the butter knife on the floor.

"You know Bethany, my stepmom didn't ask you to come here to stare at me." He muttered rudely.

"My name is Brooklyn not Bethany." I whispered

"You're lucky I didn't call you babysitter." He whispered right back as to mock me.

"Oh right I forgot, your speech must not be of a high enough level to form the word 'Brooklyn'. My bad. I'll do my best to take it easy on you." I said with a sarcastic grin.

I slapped the bandaid on my ankle, tossing the paper towel away before grabbing Mae's sandwich from under Luke and making my way back into the living room.