Chapter Seventeen

Start from the beginning

"You sure?" He finally says after a beat.

"Yeah." I nod, enthusiastic.

"Carmen this is great!" He yells, wrapping me in a bone-crushing hug that lifts me off the floor.

~•~•~•~•~

It takes me two weeks to get my papers in and everything in order for my return, and every second is torture. I want my team back. I want my family back.

On my first day back I dress in dark jeans, a blue 3/4 length sleeve shirt, and my favorite black combat boots. My hair is in a perfect french braid, but I still keep redoing it, making sure every strand is in place.

"You ready?" Spencer asks as he comes into the bathroom.

"Yeah." I sigh. "Do I look okay?" I run my hands along my jeans, smoothing the wrinkles.

"You look beautiful." He states like it's one of the most obvious facts, one that he's read in an Oxford textbook.

"You sure?" I ask and he chuckles.

"It's just work, are you nervous?" He asks, stroking my face.

"A bit, I mean, we're in the FBI for crying out loud." This makes him laugh a bit harder.

"You look like you're ready to kick butt, let's go."

"Thanks Spence." I say and kiss him gratefully.

On our drive to the BAU through the pouring rain which still hasn't stopped, all I can think about is my first case I worked and the look on the little girl's face - Gracie - when I pulled her out of the attic and placed her in Morgan's arms. She was so grateful to be on her way home. I decide that's why I need this job, I need to know that I'm helping people.

~•~•~•~•~

We had agreed to keep my coming back a secret, so as I walk in I take cautious steps and wait to be attacked by everyone.

Morgan sees me first, and immediately sprays coffee all over the ground. "Brooks!" He yells, sprinting to me, Garcia hot on his trail. JJ comes around the corner just in time to join the group hug.

"Aww... You guys are the best." I say as a wipe a tear. "It's so great to be back."

JJ pulls back from the group and stared at me, bewildered. "Back? For good?!" She squeals as I nod. We hug some more until Hotch comes out of his office and tells us to meet in the bullpen.

We walk together and as I sit down I sigh as memories come back, some of us just talking, some of us bracing each other as the horror filled the screens around us, and that's when I realize just how much of a family we are, and just how much I've missed them.

JJ briefs us about the latest case, and not to anyone's surprise, it's a pretty bad one.

"Okay, this is Jennet Clearwater, she was found last night near a dumpster in Chicago, Illinois with bruises and  lacerations on her neck, wrists, and ankles." JJ says, clicking through pictures. "She's the third to have died in the past month in the same way from the same place. All of the girls that have died fit into the same category: between the ages of 20-35; middle class; brown hair, blue eyes; and they have all went missing during the hours of 8:00 pm and midnight. We have three days until our killer is scheduled to kidnap again so let's move."

~•~•~•~•~          (2 days later)

I'm getting more and more frustrated at how little we've found when Morgan yells "Wait, guys, I think I might have found something, but I don't really understand it. "We all crowd around him and look over his shoulder at a piece of paper clutched in his fingers.