Chapter Nine

~Carmen's POV~

I grip the edge of my seat as hard as I can, my finger nails digging into the soft fibers as the plane spirals down and with it my hope of ever seeing Spencer again.

~Spencer's POV~

I'm sitting at my desk at the BAU when a call comes through my cell phone. It's Hotch, but that doesn't make any sense. Hotch is in his office... Isn't he? I glance over at Hotch's office while I answer the phone, seeing him stare at me through the blinds.

"Yes?" I ask hesitantly, wondering why he didn't just come up to my desk.

"Get in here." He says, his voice anxious, but even. He's trying to stay calm, but there's an edge, just a slight increase in the intensity of his voice. He's truly nervous. I think, scrambling to get to his office. Carmen.

"What is it?" I ask, terrified that something happened to Carmen. My Carmen. "Hotch. What happened?!" I demand.

"Reid, something happened with Carmen's mission."

"So? Where is she, what can we do?" I ask, squirming under the pressure.

"Reid... We don't know where she is. The last thing that was reported before their radio transmitter died was that their plane got shot down."

I sink to my knees and cry. Right in the middle of Hotch's office, not knowing what else to do. She's my everything.

~Carmen's POV~

I brace for impact but feel like I will never stop falling, spiraling, sinking. Until I do. I hit the ground with a crunch of bones and gravel. Everything goes black instantly when my head hits a rock. "Spence." I choke out, hoping the BAU will find me and take me home where I am safe.

~Morgan's POV~

I walk into Hotch's office with a question about our latest case to find a situation that would be funny if it weren't for Reid.

"Hotch... What's going on?" I ask, worried for Reid's sake. What happened to make him crack like that? Then I think of what he's been obsessing over ever since he met her. Carmen. Hotch doesn't answer me, he's trying to comfort Reid, but I can tell that he feels awkward. He doesn't have to be in this position very often.

"Hotch. What happened?" I demand. If it has anything to do with Carmen I might curse. She hasn't been here long, but we already feel so close to her. She's part of the team.

"Carmen's plane got shot down." Hotch says, his voice even. I let out a string of curses under my breath.

"So where is she now? What are we doing to get her out?" I demand.

"We can't do anything right now. All we can do is wait for an update." I sink to the ground and rest my head on the wall. Why was she assigned a mission right before the wedding? She could be dead now and we couldn't say a thing to her family about it.

~Carmen's POV~

I can't see anything. Everything sounds far away and warped, like I'm underwater. I can feel, though. I can feel the pain of my head, the ache of my heart, longing to just go home. then I feel something different. Fingers touch my neck, checking for a pulse.

"She's alive, but not breathing." The voice is slow, relaxed, not like it should be. I feel like the voice is above me somewhere, but not close enough to be talking about me.

Then I feel hands peel off my backpack and then press against my chest. Hard. I want it to stop, want to scream out, but instead all I can do is see myself. I can see a man with an army uniform on, and he's working on a girl with blood on her face and limbs. Me.