Chapter Thirteen

~Carmen's POV~

My heart starts to race and my breath quickens. "B-brain... Tumor?" I choke out between breaths. "How do you know? Don't you have to run a bunch of tests and wait for forever for them to come back?" I ask frantically, desperately trying to make it not true.

"We ran an MRI and took a Biopsy of the tumor. I'm sorry Carmen, I know this is a lot to take in. The good news is that we caught the cancer in time. If we-"

"Cancer?" I ask, terrified and confused. "What do you mean cancer? I thought I had a tumor."

"Calm down." Spencer directs me, rubbing more circles on the back of my hand."

"Carmen, honey, your tumor contains cancer cells that could potentially harm aspects of your brain. We're going to try two-three rounds of chemotherapy to try to shrink the cancer and if it doesn't help then we're going to preform surgery to remove the tumor, does that sound good?" My throat goes dry and it's hard to swallow. Is she kidding me?

"We can't afford this..." Is all I can say.

"Carmen." Spencer says softly. "We're using the honeymoon money to pay for most of it and your parents are helping as well. It's okay to be scared, but we're going to work through this together, okay?"

"Okay." I whisper. "Where's everyone else? The team?" I ask, wanting as much comfort as I can get right now.

"They've been waiting outside your room all night, but Carmen?"

"Yeah?"

"Emma's flight leaves tomorrow, you might want to see her first."

Oh my gosh. Emma! I think, kicking myself for not thinking about her.

~•~•~•~•~

"Hey." Emma says quietly, sitting on the hospital bed. "How are you feeling?"

"Scared. Shocked. In denial." I say, trying to sum up all of my many emotions and fit them into one sentence.

"Yeah... I was worried about you." She says, a tear trickling down her face.

"I know. I guess they caught the cancer in time though." I say, trying to cheer her up. "I'm going to be fine." I hope.

"I know, but I don't want to fly home tomorrow." She admits and I sigh.

"Me neither. But it's okay, we'll FaceTime, Skype, text, call, write letters, and visit each other soon. We'll get through this as friends, okay?"

"Yeah. Like always." She says and hugs me. My door opens and we pull apart after a second.

"Hey, sorry to interrupt." JJ says. "Everyone wants to see you." She laughs and I smile.

"That popular, huh?" I joke and she comes to hug me. Emma leaves to go talk to my parents about driving to the airport but promises to come back in about an hour.

~•~•~•~•~

After everyone makes the rounds of talking to me and trying to give me encouragement I settle in for a nap but keep tossing and turning. I can't get the thought of cancer out of my head, which I guess is ironic because cancer is in my head.

Just as I'm drifting off to sleep I hear Morgan's words in my head.

"Carmen, you are my little sister. And I'm proud of you." He seems to whisper in my ear. I smile and see his sincere face in my mind, but then it fades away and I'm left all alone at the crime scene, still wet from crying.

"Morgan?" I call, standing up and looking around. "Spencer? Hotch, JJ, Garcia? Guys... Anybody?" I ask as I continue to look around the crime scene. Nobody is there. Not even the chief that showed us the scene. I hold my head and try to think my way through this. Then something catches my eye. The spray paint on the wall isn't blue. It's blood red... And it's not paint.