Chapter Six - Part 4

Beginne am Anfang

“Is this true of every large company?” asked Dr. Snyder. “I know that what you just explained is certainly true in some companies. But I believe there are some companies that do have the luxury of an engaged and qualified executive, and it benefits the entire operation.”

“Which company do you have in mind?” asked President Barber.

“Apple Incorporated. Steven Jobs was,”

“Steve Jobs is dead. He died over fifty years ago,” interrupted President Barber. “He was the last engaged and efficient executive this continent has seen. The example you just provided us with is a perfect example of my explanation that company executives can inherit the wealth and stability from previous executives and avoid ruining the company.”

Dr. Snyder frowned and lowered his head.

“I suppose I see your point, Mr. President. But what do you have in mind to fix this problem?” he said.

“I was thinking more of a nationalization process. The Movement simply nationalizes the major companies,” answered President Barber.

“Nationalization of major corporations?” asked a bewildered Dr. Snyder. “That is simply mad!”

“Mad?” screamed Mr. Duckworth. “What is mad about it? The fact that CEOs today do not have the intellect nor skill to run a company? Or the fact that those whom know the best and work the hardest receive the smallest paychecks? Because I’ll tell you, Dr. Snyder, you and I are better than any two CEOs in any business today.”

Dr. Snyder looked down once again, pondering the horrific idea of nationalizing corporations.

“I just can’t see it happening without any negative retaliation. The reforms we have in place since over a decade ago did much to eliminate the problem of CEOs accumulating mass wealth through coercion of employees. Now the employees own at least half, if not more than half, of the of the companies’ shares. If we nationalize the companies, we are also taking away shares from the companies’ workers,” he explained.

“Do you think the retaliation could drown The Movement’s popular support? After all, only one sixteenth of one percent are CEOs or company presidents,” said Troy.

“I just don’t know for sure. I know it probably wouldn’t help it at all. I can’t see it helping in any way. I mean, you’re essentially stealing shares, over half of them, from the people who have been supporting The Movement since its inception,” said Dr. Snyder.

“If most companies are owned, or majority owned, by their own employees, then who exactly owns the other half?” asked Troy.

“The Movement’s first wave of reforms required a company’s employees to own at least half of the company’s shares. Most companies own between fifty-one and fifty-six percent of the entire company’s shares. The CEOs and higher executives own the remaining forty-nine percent of shares,” give or take a few percentage points,” explained Dr. Snyder.

“Then would it not make sense to nationalize only that portion of the company? Then the major companies are owned by The Movement and by the employees. The Movement surely would not be disengaged from a company’s design if we owned a portion of it. I’m just wondering who the CEOs are and how much support they have for The Movement,” inquired Troy.

“How many high executives are there?” asked President Barber.

“On average, larger companies have one CEO with many positions directly below on a corporate level, but many more smaller executives at each of the company’s branches and nationwide locations,” explained Dr. Snyder.