Alive

Pewds pov

After I woke up this morning, I was told that I had a a few holes from a bullet in my shoulder and side and I had passed out from the loss of blood and the overexertion. They told me I would be fine but they were a bit less sure about Mark. He was alive, but they couldn't wake him up. They thought he might be in a coma but they aren't sure yet. They had transferred all the recruits to a base outside London so we were safe for now.

As soon is I was released, I went straight to Marks bedside. He was stable now but he had major internal bleeding this morning. The officers didn't seem too sure of his survival but the doctors held hope.

Jack had been trying to get in to see him all day but they weren't letting anyone other then me visit. They only made the exception for me because I had saved his life. It didn't feel like I saved him. It felt selfish. I saved him because I needed him. I needed him to be okay. I couldn't live with myself if he died. Survivors guilt I suppose.

I sat there for hours before the heart monitor started beeping strangely. It wasn't the constant rhythm like it had been all day but a spastic increase of pase. I heard a moan escape his lips and I immediately called for a doctor. Several men and women rushed in while I moved to his side again. I grabbed his hand as a way to will him awake. "Come on Mark... Come on... You can do this...." I kept whispering to him in hope that some way, some how, it would help. I saw his eyes move beneath his eyelids and and stared intently at his face. "Please Mark." I said... And his eyes opened.

"Mark!" I yell and hug him. "You're okay!"

"W-wha..?" He tried to speak but didn't have the strength. "H-how...?"

"You didn't really think I'd leave you out there did you?" I asked and hugged him again. This time he wrapped one arm around me loosely. "Please don't do that again buddy." I said.

He chuckled. "Can't make any promises." He wheezed. He was talking now and that was something.

"How do you feel?" I ask.

"I feel like I was ripped in half, but other then that I'm dandy." He smiled. "How are you, Felix?"

"Better then you."

As we had been talking the doctors got the information they needed and started to file out of the room. "Should we let...-"

"Yes please." I interrupted the doctor who shrugged.

"What?" Mark asked. I didn't even have enough time to respond before Jack ran into the room and to the other side of Mark. "J-" he was cut off be the Irishmen's lips connecting with his own.

"I like you too." Jack whispered before connecting their lips again. I watched in aw at his confidence and the flat out adorableness of the situation. When they finally parted, they both smiled and Jack turned towards me. He came over to where I was standing and hugged me. "Thank you for saving this goober. I owe you big time."

I smiled and hugged back. "Please, you both would have done the same for me. Hell, Mark even tried it." I smiled at Mark who still looked as if he was in a trance.

"Private Terry?" A soldier asked from the doorway.

"Yes?" I asked.

"Corporal McField wants to see you."

"Oh boy." I sigh. "Well I'll leave you two to it then." I said and looked back to see Jack stroking Marks head. They both rolled their eyes as I followed the soldier out and towards an office.

I walk in to see the corporal sitting at a desk. As soon as she sees me, she stands and salutes. "That was one of the bravest things I've seen Private." She says. "I'm glad to see you're okay." I salute back and smile as she sits back down.

"Thank you ma'am." I say and continue to stand.

"The higher ups are all in agreement, you will be promoted to Private first class as soon as things calm down enough to have a ceremony." she grins.

"Thank you ma'am." I say in disbelief. "B-but Mark..."

"Private Fischbach will be promoted as well." She says reassuringly. "You boys surprised us all out there."

I nod and smile at her. "We were just doing our duty." I say.

She shakes her head. "You've gone above the call of duty. You've earned to be celebratory about it."

I smile. "Thank you." I say and raise an eyebrow as she holds a phone out to me.

"There's someone who would like to speak with you." She smiles.

Cry pov

"Oh my god Felix!" I shout as tears run down my face. "You're okay! Holy shit you're okay!I'm sorry! I'm so sorry! I love you!" I ramble.

"Whoa whoa." Felix chuckles. "Love, it's okay. I'm okay. I love you too."

"I'm sorry." I say softly. "I d-didn't mean t-to..." I trail off.

"Ryan. It's okay. I promise. I don't blame you." He says calmingly. I longed to touch him. To have him with me again, but this would have to do.

"I t-tried calling you b-but they said you had been attacked and I was so scared that you..."

"Shhh. Hey. It's ok." He soothed. "I'm just fine. Everything is good now."

I nod and try to calm down, closing my eyes tightly. "I miss you so much." I whisper after a few minutes.

I hear him sigh. "I miss you too. I wish I could be there with you. I want to come home to you." I sniffle and kiss my phone lightly. It wasn't anything like the kisses we shared, but it was still a bit comforting. "Ryan?" I hear him ask quietly. I hadn't realized just how long I had stayed silent.

"I-I'm here." I croak.

He sighs again and I hear him digging for something. "I got this back at the old base. It reminded me of you and how beautiful you are."

"W-what is it?"

"You'll see, my love. I'll send it out today and you'll see it soon enough."

I smile softly. "You tease."

I heard him chuckle softly. "I want it to be a surprise."

"Alright." I say, my smile growing wider. He always knew how to cheer me up.

"I have to go, baby." He whispers. "I'll call you as soon as I can. I love you."

"I love you." I whisper as I hear him hang up. I hold the phone to my chest and bite my lip to keep from crying. "N-no more tears." I scold myself. "Everything is going to be fine."