Enlisted

Three weeks later.

Cry pov.

We're sprawled out on the small sofa that I've had since I was sixteen. Both laying down. Him behind me and holding me too his chest with his hands wrapped around my waist. There was something on TV but I wasn't paying attention too it. All I felt was the slow movement of his chest and his breath against my neck. I close my eyes and just focus on him. All the little things about him that he takes for granted. The steady beat of his heart. His inhales. His exhales. All the things that keep him alive and with me. All the things keeping him mine and me his.

I turn around and smile at him. He smiles back and a bury my face in his chest.

Inhale, exhale.

Budum budum budum.

I silently thank his heart for pumping, his lungs for breathing, his brain for telling him I was worth loving. He asks me if something is wrong and I just smile and shake my head.

"Never been better." I say quietly.

"You want to go somewhere tonight?" He asks.

"Sure, but I have to get the mail first." I pull away from him and walk towards the door.

I walk out to get the mail and sigh when they all seem to be bills. There was also a wedding present from one of Felix's uncles and a letter to him. "Felix! Mail for you!"

"Who's it from?" He calls from the couch.

"The government!"

"Probably just Jury duty. Go ahead and open it."

I laugh and pull out a letter opener.

Mr Felix Arvid Ulf Terry,

In accordance of your newly found citizenship, we hope you have been informed about the right of enlistment. In extreme cases were voluntary services are not sufficient, the United States Government has the right to seek aid from everyday citizens.

Along with the many rights and privileges you achieve when becoming a citizen, there are also prices to be paid to keep our beloved country free. Due to recent events, we must take additional solders to help in the fight against injustice.

You, are that solder.

Please report to your nearest enrollment offices by the date of December 1st. We apologize for inconvenience and thank you for the undoubtable courage you will most definitely show.

We solute you.
Your government enrollment officers.

The letter falls from my hands and a drop to my knees. I feel the tears begin to roll down my face. All I hear, all I feel, is that rhythmic beating, ending. That slow rise and fall, stopping. That connection I feel that tells me he loves me, cutting off. All the things that keep him here, keep him mine, not there anymore.

Inhale, exha-

Budum budum bu-

I let out an immense sob. Felix rushes over and and starts to ask what's wrong. I point towards the horrid paper that might as well be his death certificate. He looks over and picks it up. As he reads, I just continue to sob. He won't make it back if he goes out there. Very few people do.

Pewds pov.

"I've been enlisted?" I whisper. This can't be happening.

"Th-They're gonna t-take you away from me!" Ryan sobs. I get to my knees and hold him close.

"Shh it's ok. It's gonna be ok." I sooth. The only thing keeping me together was him. This was going to be just as hard for him as it will be for me.

"I-I can't loose you!" He yelled.

"You won't." I promise. "Just you see, I'll be home in no time. And when I get back, we can start that family we talked about. We'll get some dogs and pick out the biggest, comfiest couch we can find. And then we can go to an adoption agency and pick up or little bundle of joy. You'll see. I'll be back before too long."

"b-but what if you aren't? Wh-what if you don't come back?"

"I will. I swear. Before you know it, I'll be back here to annoy the daylight out of you once again." He turned and sobbed into my shoulder. I bite my lip to keep my own cries down. I need to be strong for him. I knew the odds of me coming back were slim. There is a reason they are running out of soldiers. He sobs again and I pull back. I look into his deep blue eyes and wiped a tear that was rolling down his cheek with my thumb, smiling softly. "Hey, look at me." He still refused to look into my eyes. "Please?" Finally, his teary eyes met mine and my smile widened ever so slightly. "I promise." He just shakes his head. "I do. I'll be back." More tears roll and I can't keep mine back anymore. "Do you believe me?" My voice cracks. He closes his eyes and nods slowly. "Good." Is what I say.

Because I don't. Is what I think.