Chapter 12 - The truth you don't know

Start from the beginning

They found themselves in calm waters. There was only blue around them, over and under them. Only the single bright spot of the sun broke the color, light on the sky, incredibly dark on the water. Deep water, so. A weak wind barely made them move. The Jolly Roger was heavily gliding over the plane mass of water. After the fall in the portal, all that quiet seemed unnatural to them.
Hook rotated the helm and the ship slowly turned right.
" Are we in the right sea?" an almost terrorized Emma asked with narrowed eyes. Everyone looked at Hook. He shrugged.
" I guess. We'll see, anyway."
Rapunzel chuckled. " True." she murmured just before walking to the bow. She concentrated, put a hand on her eyes, tensed for a few seconds and then took back the hand. She was now looking at the horizon with wide-open eyes. An almost invisible purple fog was dancing in her pupils. Snow, who had followed her, widened her eyes for the surprise: it was and absurd sight.
" Is your town right on the sea, with high palaces all almost of the same color and a... tower? A tower with an odd thing on it. I really don't know what that could be. It's circular and white and has some numbers on the corner." She blinked repeatedly and the fog disappeared. She was now looking at Snow White. " What the hell was that? It was enormous! "
" It... A clock. It's a clock." the brunette answered with a shocked expression on her face. " You can see so far away?"
Rapunzel's eyebrows lifted. " What's a clock?"
" An instrument to measure time, dearie. And, miss Blanchard, that spell is called Dragon Eyes. Many archers used to ask me to put it on them. "
Snow almost ignored Rumplestiltskin. Almost. " Are you an archer?"
Rapunzel stifled a laughter. " No. Well, I can use a bow, but it is not my favorite weapon. I like swords. As you surely noticed. "
" So why do you know that spell?"
" 'Cause I thought it could be useful during battles. I mean, sometimes you have to check the zone before the attack, and doing it from a distance is better, if you want to survive. Plus, when fighting, knowing where exactly the archers are hidden is very useful. I could avoid many arrows thanks to it. The details are impressive with that sight. "
" Oh." Snow commented, forcing herself to close her mouth. " And you just taught her?" she suddenly asked to Rumple. He grinned.
" She did it on her own. She's a very talented autodidact. And a passionate reader. That side of you reminds me of Belle..." he added, smirking at the warrior.
" Well I guess that that was a compliment. " It was more like a question than a statement. Rumplestiltskin nodded to the warrior, and she shyly smiled. " Oh, well, then... thank you."
She looked embarrassed. Snow felt a little of sympathy for her. It was probable that the warrior had never received a compliment before.
" How distant was Storybrooke? " she asked, forcing herself no not ask something else.
Rapunzel skeptically eyed the sails. " With this wind? We'll be there tomorrow's late morning, I guess. "
" In time for lunch! " Emma had just appeared behind them. " I'm so hungry!"
" Sorry that my stockpile wasn't enough for you all. It was meant to be for one person." Rapunzel said, pressing her lips together in a tiny smile.
She really seemed sorry. Emma immediately regretted her words. " No, it's just that I need real food. Like a hamburger. Double cheese. Bacon. Shit I can't think about it now..." she murmured with a hand on her stomach.
" Are you that hungry, Em?" Snow asked, eying her daughter. It wasn't like they didn't eat. She was a little hungry, too, but not that much.
" No it's just that..." She stopped talking. Her skin had turned green. She ran to the bulwark and leaned over it just a second before vomiting whatever she had in her stomach. Snow run to her and took her hair before it got dirty.
When she finished, she rubbed gently her back with one hand and smiled at her daughter.
" Hey, is all right?"
" Yes, I just... I guess was the stress, for Henry and..." she eyed quickly the warrior. Rapunzel gave a start. Neither compliments nor care for her, so.
" It's normal, Em, don't worry..."
David came running. " Hey! Are you okay, Em?"
" I'm fine, overprotective dad."
They smiled at each other, and Snow too couldn't help but smile. A wide, open smile. Love burnt warm in her chest.
" Emma, you should eat something. Down in the kitchen there's some bread. It's a little hard, but it's good. Hook won't protest." the warrior suggested with a sympathetic look.
The Savior smiled at her. " Thanks."
Snow turned to watch her. " Do you want some?"
" No, thank you. I've already eaten it."
" And you didn't offered it to us? What a horrible person you are!" Snow objected, snorting and smiling.
They laughed together, and even Emma and Rumple did a little.
" I'm a bit angry, in truth. May I come with you? I'll leave a second after I took what I'm looking for." Rumplestiltskin said with a kind smile.
" You don't have to leave! We're family. " Emma said, and something passed between them. He nodded, and they walked towards the door that led below deck. Snow stopped after three paces.
" David, do you..."
" I'll join you in a minute."
Snow felt a little confused, but his smile made her nod.
" Okay."
She turned and reached the door through where her daughter and the Dark One had disappeared.