1. as always

1. as always

Calum's eyes opened slightly as the brightness of his now open curtains hurt his eyes.

"C'mon, honey get up." One of his moms, Joy (his biological mom), said and shook his shoulder and Calum groaned.

He didn't want to get up, he wanted to go to sleep and dream about a world where people could be with whoever they loved. The seventeen year old boy had nothing against gay people, how could he? Everyone he knows is gay he's the only straight freak. He just wished everyone was more accepting.

As he did his usual "am I still straight? routine" and obtained the answer yes, he let a few tears escape his eyes, today still wasn't the day Calum became normal.

His eyes were glued to the ceiling as he heard his mom, Martha, call for him and screaming something about being late. He didn't care, throughout the years Calum had become emotionless, isolating himself from the world and living inside his own head. Everyone was extremely worried but no one knew exactly what was wrong with the raven haired boy.

Calum's muscles burned slightly as he pushed himself off bed, the only thing Calum still enjoyed doing was running, he just runs for hours and hours until his body is almost giving up but his mind is still begging him to run more and more until all his problems went away.

A small ring coming from his mobile device interrupted his thoughts, Calum stretched his arm and read the text message from Ashton saying he'd be outside to pick him up in twenty minutes.

The two boys had met a year or so ago at a party, Ashton looked at Calum differently like he knew what was wrong with him but Calum brushed it off because there was no way Ashton could understand, he is into boys. He had heard some stories about Axl Irwin, Ashton's straight brother, but none of the stories Calum heard had a happy ending. Axl Irwin was found with a rope around his neck and hanging from the ceiling by Ashton himself. At the time the tragedy happened Ashton was 17 and Axl was 19, now two years later Ashton is 19 and Calum is 17 and Ashton can see the scene almost repeating itself in front of his eyes, he knows that Calum is so close to his breaking point and Ashton is so scared of what might happen. Ashton was the only person that knew about Calum's sexuality, Calum had never told them but it was like a silent shared secret between the two teenage boys.

Calum quickly got dressed and threw a beanie on his head because he couldn't care less about his stupid hair, not like it's gonna get him some girls.

He dismissed the breakfast cooked by his moms and gave them both a kiss on the cheek before exiting the house leaving two worried women behind.

The corner of his lips tugged into a small smile when Ashton pulled up on his driveaway, the nineteen year old was still going to school for missing one year when the tragedy happened, Ashton was a wreck and the whole town knew it.

"How are you?" Ashton asked him as he always did every morning and Calum sighed.

And Calum's answer was the same, every damn time. "Fine, as always."

Ashton chuckled sadly even though nothing about the situation was funny.

The fifteen minute drive to school was the same, as always, everything in Calum's life was the same over and over again. And the boy was getting tired of it.

The usual silence settled between the two of them, Calum and Ashton never talked a lot the main reason being the fact Calum hates talking because he's scared he'll let his secret accidentally slip through his lips even though Ashton knew it, Calum didn't want to say the words. I'm a freak, I'm not normal, I'm not gay, I am straight were the words always begging to leave Calum's lips.