I was walking in the woods and smelled a familiar scent so I followed it.

I saw Keith who was sitting on a broken tree branch.

“Keith, what are you doing here?” I asked him.

“Chilling” he said smiling and showing me all his pearly whited. I frowned when I noticed the liquor bottles around him.

“Is everything okay?” I asked sitting next to him. He reeked of alcohol and I scrunched my nose at that. “How long have you been drinking?”

“Just started” he said smiling and I frowned harder because there was at least ten empty bottles around. He wasn’t sober.

“That’s it. Get up, we are going to the house” I said getting up and tugging his arm.

“I am not going anywhere” he said pushing my hands.

“Why not?”

“Wherever I go, I see mates. The blushing, holding hands, sucking each other’s face, cuddling… all make me sick” he said and pretended to gag while I stared at him not knowing what to say.

 “You know I didn’t want a mate on my sixteenth birthday, I wanted to enjoy life.” He said chuckling. “Everyone found their mates. You, Ben everyone. I am the last one left in the group and I doubt whether I have one” he continued talking staring ahead.

“Don’t say that. You’ll find your mate one day and she’ll love you more than anything” I said comforting but he scoffed at that.

“I don’t have a mate” he said.

I didn’t want him to be like this, he looked so sad and it hurt. I knew he must feel really lonely when we are all with our mates.

“Keith, you are drunk. We’ll talk tomorrow” I told and started tugging his arms again.

“No. I want to talk now. I want to know why I don’t have a mate” he shouted. “Am I that bad?”

“Keith please, Calm down we’ll talk tom-”

“I want to know why?” he screamed.

He was my best friend but he looked so broken and sad now. I wanted to do something for him but I couldn’t do anything.

“I am ranting, aren’t i?” he asked me somberly while I stared at him. “I should better go. Sorry” he said walking away.

I watched him until he vanished from my view. I asked Cam through the link to go and talk to Keith. I didn’t want him to be like this.

I also knew he wouldn’t have been like this if we hadn’t found our mate. He must feel lonely now, since we all have our mates.