1 || Chapter Nine

Song: First by Lauren Daigle

✞∞✞∞✝∞✞∞✞

It was strange to be excited about going to Magical Melodies after all of these months of dreading being within a square mile of the premises.

But here I was, defying every fear that had haunted me up until a couple weeks ago. Well, almost — tomorrow was the Sunday, as in August 2nd — when I would conquer my last, and perhaps least obvious, fear. In other words, tomorrow was the Debut Sunday.

"So," Dad said, "What were we here for?"

I hesitated before answering, mostly due to the fact that I hadn't really asked to come because I needed something, but rather because I needed the closure, and that I thought that I was ready, "I wanted to get a book of some modern Christian songs." I finally responded, "Look into our songs for next Sunday."

"Right. This was an every Sunday thing, wasn't it?"

"Yeah. Hopefully more than one song, as well." I replied.

"Why only one song this Sunday, then?"

I just shook my head in response, unwilling to share the idea I had been forming yet. But I was sure that it would be a shock to everyone, if I could work up the courage to actually do it.

Ignoring the jittery feeling that overtook me the moment I entered the building, I headed straight for the sheet music books — past Bryce's dream guitar and the place that he'd been shot. A thick book with a blue cover immediately caught my eye and I picked it up, opening it to the first page to find the song All This Time. Of all of the songs that could have been the first page, it was that song. And for whatever reason, that thoroughly convinced me of my idea for tomorrow. It was like a sign from God that it was the right thing to do.

"Dad?" I asked, spinning around to locate him gazing longingly at a midnight black guitar hanging on the wall, "Can I get this book?"

✞∞✞∞✝∞✞∞✞

"Hey, C." Mom said, as we walked in the door, "How'd it go?"

"Great." I said, giving her a smile.

"Oh, uh, did you ever read Lynn's article?" Mom asked, holding up the Wallowdale Wednesday Edition, "It was published in the paper last week Wednesday, but they re-published it this week."

Right. The article. I suddenly felt like a horrible friend that this grand project I had asked Lynn to do for me had slipped my mind.

"I haven't actually." I replied, taking the paper from her and plopping down on our old teal sofa to read it.

FROM OLD DREAMS COME NEW LIFE

Sometimes, out of something lost, comes something gained. This is certainly the case for the Wallowdale United Methodist Church. Six months ago, the Norton family and WUMC as a whole, lost an aspiring young man of Christ. Before Bryce Norton's tragic death in a robbery shooting, he'd had a dream. But his dream had been more music related than the one by Martin Luther King Jr. that might come to mind when I say that. He'd wanted something better for his church in the way of worship, something more engaging than just an organ playing old hymns. Something that would reach out to the younger generations of Christians and spark a passion in them. Now, six months after his passing, his sister — Caitlyn Norton — is taking action and fulfilling his dream in the creation of a new "Praise Band" at Wallowdale United Methodist Church. Their big debut will take place on Sunday, August 2, 2015 and they will be singing "Fix My Eyes" by For King & Country. Believers and Non-belivers alike are invited to this performance — at which refreshments will be available, if you needed any further enticement — to experience something never seen before in the quiet little town of Wallowdale. I know that I'll be there, anxiously awaiting this performance that is sure to be stellar, and I hope you'll be there too.