Different

My adoptive brother, Ripley, had this one friend named Rider. When I was 8, they were 11. Most wolves turn at the age twelve, but wolves with alpha bloodlines turn at 10.

My brother and Rider had already turned, since Rider was the Black Moon Alpha's son, and Ripley was the Alpha's son of our pack, The Lightened Horizon. They used to shift and run through the woods, and me being the youngest sibling, I'd run after them.

I'd trip, and run myself ragged trying to keep up with their fast, wolf bodies. My brother would constantly stop and wait up before taking off again. Rider would get so angry, having to slow down!

One day, he came over and told me that Ripley was waiting in the woods for us. I perked, glad to be included by one of the boys and followed naively after him as he shifted and ran through the woods.

After awhile of running at full speed to keep up with Rider, I collapsed exhausted. Rider jogged to a stop, then ducked behind a tree to shift back and change into clothes. I pulled myself up, my muscles achingly painfully as I sat up.

Rider walked slowly up to me, then crouched to eye level.

"You see how I'm not even breaking a sweat? How you have to run as a human? How weak you are? That's because you're different, Vera.

You'll never be like me or Ripley. You don't belong here," he snarled.

I felt truth ring through the air as his words sank in. Threatening tears filled my eyes as I glared at Rider sharply. I knew he was right though.

I had always been different from the other kids.

"You don't know anything Rider!" I screamed at him, standing up, furiously.

I marched right up to him, getting close to his face as I stated,

"I might not be like you, but I'm glad. Cuz you're just a big bully. And I'm super strong!" I declared.

His race turned red in anger as he pushed me down.

"No, you're not!"

I stood back up, indignant.

"Yes I am! You're just too stupid to see it, you poopie head!" I screamed.

He growled darkly at me while I stuck out me tongue.

"Why don't you just leave, Vera? No body likes you! Ripley told me you're just a bother and that he wishes you were gone! All the kids at school think you're weird and you don't have any friends," Rider shouted angrily.

I sucked in a breath to fire back when I heard a growl.

"What the heck, Rider? Why would you say that to my sister?" Ripley asked, furious.

Rider looked taken back for a moment, but then started right back up again.

"She's so annoying! Plus, she's just a stupid human. She can't even run fast!"

"She's my little sister, Rider! And she does too run fast! I don't think I can remember you running for so long at her age," Ripley scoffed, glaring.

Rider snarled.

"Don't compare me with her kind!"

"She is one of us! And if you can't see it, then leave!" It was quiet as the accusation stood in the air.

Then rider scoffed and did just that. But as he passed me, he growled out,

"You will never be one of us."

I don't know why, but those words always stuck with me. When everyone in my grade shifted, but I remained human.

When everyone had mind link but me, I thought about those words. When I saw my only friend find her mate, when I cried because I realized I never would.

I knew Rider was right.