Rider

Jesus H. Christ 😵 that's Rider above.
______________________

Third person POV

As the party continued later on into the night, the alpha and Luna retired, but the younger crowd was restless and they continued their fun. In the shadows, Alpha Rider Blakely chugged yet another beer as he watched his newly found mate dance amongst the werewolves.

He had caught and growled at many males who had looked or even dared to try to flirt with his mate. He didn't understand. He didn't want her. But his wolf did. More than anything he'd ever experienced. It's like the feeling itched at the inside of his skin, wanting to crawl out. Just watching her from afar felt wrong. He wanted to be beside her.

Close to her. The effects of the alcohol finally started kicking in. He took no notice to the 9 bottles of beer surrounding him as he swayed on his feet. He hadn't noticed one guy finally walk up to his mate till it was too late. The guy that walked up to Vera was attractive enough. Blonde hair, green eyes, dimples. She instantly liked him.

"Hey," he greeted with a sultry smile.

She smiled back peeking at him from under her lashes.

"Hello."

"What's your name, gorgeous?"

"Vera."

"That's pretty. Mine is Mason," he introduced, then wrapped his arms around her waist.

"Care for a dance?"

Vera hesitated, unsure, then nodded. They started to grind together, and that's when Rider noticed. At first, it didn't register, but when it did, he saw red. He marched, or stumbled, over to the two and ripped Mason off of her.

"Hey man what's your problem?" Mason shouted, puffing up his chest.

Rider pierced him with a look that would scare death itself.

"I-it's cool. See you later, Vera," he stuttered then took off with his tail between his legs.

"Rider, what the heck are you doing?" Vera asked, angry.

He had no right to be in her business! He hated her. That thought hurt Vera just the slightest bit, but she had no clue why.

"You shouldn't be messing with other guys!" Rider roared, swaying unsteadily on his feet.

Vera winced at the amount of eyes on them, feeling suddenly subconscious.

"C'mon, let's get you some water and fresh air," Vera suggested, guiding him towards the back yard.

He leaned heavily on her until his wolf snapped lazily through the drunken haze not to crush his mate. Vera sat Rider down on a piece of outside furniture, then sat on the other side of him.

"C'mere," he slurred.

Vera hesitantly went to his side.

"Ya stay away fra udder guys. Yer mine!" He hiccuped.

Vera looked at him utterly confused.

"What?"

"Yer my mate," Rider said, leaning forward a bit, his grey eyes unfocused.

Vera was reeling.

"No. You're lying," she said, rejecting the idea immediately.

Rider's eyes flashed gold with anger.

"You think I'm lying?" He cried out, indignant, he jumped up only to stumble and fall back on his bum.

"It's impossible! I'm human..." Vera trailed off, hurt in her eyes.

"Yeah, I noticed that," Rider snapped, causing Vera to flinch.

There was something about Rider's presence that just seemed... Right. Like he made everything make sense. Vera was shocked but oddly happy. A mate. She had a mate. A small smile lit up her face.

"Well, now that we've got that covered, I'll be returning to the party," Rider said, seeming sobered up enough.

He stood up, only slightly unbalanced. He turned to walk away but paused.

"And don't even think about telling anyone about what we are, or I'll chop off your tongue," he said, his eyes dark and dangerous.

Vera jerked back, shocked.

"B-but we're mates," she whispered, hurt.

Rider let out a cruel laugh.

"And what an embarrassment that is! An alpha mated to a lowly human. Disgusting."

All Vera could do was sit there shocked as Rider walked away. Then, sadness overwhelmed her and a tear ran down her cheek.

Vera

I thought having a mate was supposed to make you happy. I thought they were supposed to make you feel special and loved, but no. Anger replaced my sadness. Everything. Everything always has to to wrong.

I'm a human for Christ sake, I shouldn't be here. I don't belong and the longer I stay here the more I'll get hurt. I wiped away my tears furiously. I ripped off my shoes and marched across the yard back into the pack house. I pushed through the drunken werewolves, anger radiating off me in invisible dark waves.

I stomped up my stairs and threw my door open, letting out an angered screamed before slamming it behind me, then threw myself on my bed.

"I hate mates. I hate being human. I hate my life," I whispered, angry tears flowing down my cheeks.

I fell asleep crying silently, and wishing I was never found lost in those woods years ago.