BackStory

"Mama! Papa! I'm home!" six year old Twilight Eventide called as she walked into the one place she called home. There was no answer.

"Anyone home?" she whispered and looked around the house. In the living room, the large window had been smashed and traces of blood spotted the ground. Twilight looked out the window, seeing the trail of blood which she thought, belonged to her parents. After a few minutes of painfully running in her bare feet, she heard screams.

"You don't understand! I have a daughter! Please, she will be all alone!" a woman pleaded. Twilight hid behind a bush and peered over the leaves.

"Take me! My wife needs to take care of my daughter!" another man begged. Twilight saw three men dressed in black and each holding a pistol.

"Yea, we don't give a damn about your daughter" one said hauntingly. Twilight felt her face go red and her tiny hands curl into fists.

"I'm begging..." her mother pleaded, but never got to finish as one pistol went off, the sound of the gunshot scaring the forest. Twilight saw the figure of her mother fall in slow motion, her hand clutching her heart, towards the dirt road. She bit her hand to keep from screaming to her mother. but even at six, she knew that her mother was never going to come back.

"No! Twilight..." her father called and another gunshot went off. When Twilight had the courage to look out again, the men were long gone, and her parents lay in the middle of the road, their blood staining the pebbles. She crawled out and kneeled between her mother and father.

'Mama? Papa? Can you hear me?" she said, hope filling her voice.

"Twilight..." her father whispered and Twilight put her hands on the bullet wound in his arm, applying pressure.

"Mama and Papa won't be with you for long. Find a boy named Oliver Kelly. He will help you" he whispered, his breathing uneven and voice cracking.

"No Papa. Please stay with me!" she cried, tears splashing down her face.

"I'm sorry. Those were bad men, bad men you hear? You must stay away from them. I love you" he whispered, his head rolling to one side, and his body going limp. Twilight stood up. Tears cascaded down her face, washing the blood off of her face. Now she was an orphan.

Nearby, a little 8 year old was watching. Little Jack Kelly was watching from behind a tree. He had never seen anyone so sad.

"Need any help?" he asked. Twilight turned around and Jack flinched. Her face was now covered in blood and eyes bloodshot.

"Who are you?" she whispered.

"Jack Kelly" he smiled and stuck his hand out, slowly lowering it back down to his side after seeing that she wouldn't take it.

"You know an Oliver Kelly?" she asked.

"Yeah, he's my older... brother" he said.

"I need to see him" Twilight said and kissed her dead parents goodbye, writing a few words above them in the dirt.

Annabel Dawn Eventide     -      John Richard Eventide

"Alright, let's go now" I whispered and left my parents. The small town was pretty close, and there was no doubt in Twilight's mind that they would be buried properly. Jack took her to a giant building. Inside were boys drinking and playing cards.

"Oliver!" Jack called and waved to one of the older boys, about 14 years old.

"Hey Jack! Whaddya have here?" he smiled and stuck his hand out. Twilight didn't take it.

"Say, you look real familiar" he started.

"John Eventide" she muttered.

"John! Ah! A dear friend of mine! Helped me whenever us newsies needed it! Then you must be Twilight!" he smiled.

"Is dead" she finished. The room went silent, apart from the fact that a newsie smashed a beer bottle.

"What happened? Is Ann dead too?" Oliver asked. Twilight nodded sadly. She had nobody to turn to and probably wouldn't make it to see the light of tomorrow on her own anyways so why not tell anyone everything?

"Murder..." Oliver muttered. John had been like a father to Oliver and Oliver would not accept the fact that his father was dead. Twilight lifted her head.

"Correct" she whispered.

"I know exactly who did it. Stay here, I need you three to come with me" Oliver ordered and left with three older newsies. Twilight chased after him.

"I need to know who did it" she pleaded. Oliver shook his head. Twilight felt her eyes well up again and she sniffed.

"They're my parents!" she begged. Oliver stared into her eyes and sighed.

"I'll explain everything to you once I get back" Oliver said and sent Twilight back into the building.

"Can you guarantee that? You know what we're up against" another newsie whispered to Oliver.

"I know... I know... but that little girl needs to know what happened to her father and mother." Oliver nodded and they started walking.

Oliver and the other three newsies haven't been seen since.

Twilight, now 10 years old, has been waiting for some sort of explanation. She has been waiting four years when finally a boy ran into the tavern.

"I found this letter outside near the dangerous territory" he shuddered. Twilight  took the letter and opened it.

Eventide,

This is Oliver. I am in trouble but do NOT send anyone over here. I needed to tell you about your parents before it was too late. Your father was a wonderful man and so was your mother. Anytime one of our newsies needed help, they would give them some food to eat and water, and a place to stay. I dont know if you know but almost all of us were there when you were born. Your family was very special to us. Now to who killed them. It was a gang called the White Tailed Fox, a slick gang led by a man named BlackJack. He used to be a newsie with us but grew incredibly jealous when we favored your father over him. That's why his gang killed him. He doesn't know about you which his important that you stay hidden. Now as to why the boys and I went off, we wanted revenge. We cannot take the fact that your parents were murdered and yet no other side. Long live Eventide.

Oliver

It brought tears to the little girl's eyes. She frantically looked around for something. There were a few lumber pillars nearby and she kicked it, snapping it in half. She couldn't control her rage at times, so that's what she was. A storm that could not be tamed. A Tempest.

Hello! Author here! I just wanted to tell you thank you for reading this book. Like I mentioned in Chapter 1, I was a literal pre-teen when I wrote this and I only left this book on Wattpad because some of you asked me to.  So in a way, congratulations on getting through this book. I sincerely hoped you enjoyed it. This backstory was posted with the intention of writing and posting a sequel. That's not happening anytime soon. But we'll see, the future's full of surprises. For now, I'll leave it to your creative minds. 

I've recently been getting back into the writing I used to do years ago so look out for some brand new, way better written, and a lot more interesting publications in the future!